Unable to get OS to recognize passport

I have two Passports and I cannot get one PC to recognize it, my primary PC.  My vista based portable is not the problem.
Originally the primary PC recognized the Passport.  Later when I tried to hook it up, I got a screen that asked if I wanted to install software:  didn’t think I needed to so I said no and also checked the block that said do not show me this screen again(a mistake apparently).
Now when I try to hook it up, I just get clicking sounds from the drive(both do the same thing),
How can I get the OS to recognize the Passport?

I have had two passport portables for nearly two years and all of a sudden my OS would not recognize them. both of them so WTF happened? I read every forum I could find but no real answer and thousands of folks with the  same problem. Then today I read where one guy said you had to bend the cable. OK, I’m no PC percolater but I knew bending the cable was a freak solution. But then I thought; bending the cable makes it shorter.

Wait for it …

I took my 6 foot cable off and re-connected the original one footer and jumping-ge-ho-so-fat … it worked instantly. WD ought to be smacked around for not telling us that the passport is sensitive to cable voltage drop. Anyway, hope this helps. Later

Erunner wrote:

I have two Passports and I cannot get one PC to recognize it, my primary PC.  My vista based portable is not the problem.
Originally the primary PC recognized the Passport.  Later when I tried to hook it up, I got a screen that asked if I wanted to install software:  didn’t think I needed to so I said no and also checked the block that said do not show me this screen again(a mistake apparently).
Now when I try to hook it up, I just get clicking sounds from the drive(both do the same thing),
How can I get the OS to recognize the Passport?

If the drive is working on one computer and not on another, and you are NOT using a cable longer than 18", and you are not using a USB hub, then you are not getting enough power through the USB port on the one PC to spin the drive up.  You will need to purchase a power booster cable that plugs into two USB ports at the same time.   To get a power booster cable, you will need to contact tech support.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en