Unable to Create New Folder on WD MyCloud 4TB

When trying to create a New Folder in some sub directories in my Public share/folder on my WD MyCloud, I am being told that I don’t have permission.

I have a directory \Public\Photos\ - I am unable to create \Public\Photos\NewFolder
I can creatre \Public\Newfolder or \Public\Archives\NewFolder

This is using Windows 10, Android ES File Explorer Pro, and WD My Cloud Android and Apple apps. All of them are unable to create a new folder.

The folders/directories I am trying to create new folders in have not shown this problem before and I have created new folders without any trouble previously.

My firmware is: v04.04.05-101

Windows 10 gives me the message:
“Destination folder access Denied; You need Permission to Perform this action”

Please could someone let me know how best to solve this problem. All I have tried so far is rebooting the WD MyCloud.

SSHing in I can see that the permissions for all \Public\ subdirectories are (generally) the same but the owner name and the group name is different for the subdirectories I can write to.

Of these three directories, I can write to the first and second one but not to the middle (ie root) one.

drwxrwxrwx 2 www-data www-data 4096 Apr 18 20:07 New folder/
drwxrwxr-x 316 root root 20480 Feb 4 16:56 Photos/
drwxrwxr-x 3 nobody share 4096 Aug 13 2015 S2F_Hist_Trash/

use chown to change ownership of that folder so that it matches the other, writable, ones.

chown -r www-data:www-data Photos

etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Wierd_w.

Any idea why this may have happened?

1 Like

I think ‘nobody share’ is the normal user/group pair for shares.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your help both of you, that sorted it.

Hi guys, any idea about Windows 7 share issue on a 4TB Mycloud device? Basically telling me I can’t copy or move files due to the permissions.
Sorry a bit of an unsavvy doney here. ANy assistance greatly appreciated!
Drive mapped with admin username and all shares/users are assigned/set to full read-write priveleges at present