Unable to create a Backup from one My Cloud (gen2) to another identical My Cloud

I’m trying to setup a backup between two identical My Cloud 4Tb drives on the same LAN.

I don’t have any options on any drives to swith REMOTE SERVER to ON. The option is not in the dashboard. When I create the backup job, it gives me an error message for Remote Server password… which I can’t create…

I have the latest v2.xx firmware.

Need help!

Hi!

A: PC
B: My Cloud 4 TB
C: My Cloud 4 TB

You want to backup A to B and B to C?

What do you mean you can’t create a password? Why not? Can you access both B and C from A?

What does the error message say?

I don’t own a WD NAS myself, so I can’t test any of it, but I will try to help you think this through.

A remote server can be any one of these devices. As a technical term, remote server refers to any computer on the other end of the network that provides server facilities and services. It’s actually more accurate to say remote computer. A server computer usually is a remote computer! It’s when you have a local server that you may want to make that kind of granular distinction between remote server and local server. So technically, as long as all nodes are on your LAN, you’re actually working with local servers, servers that are local to your network.

So as networked devices, both A, B and C can act as a remote computer, and thereby a server computer. But if it’s possible in practice will often depend on the operating system it uses and what kind of feature-set the manufacturer has put into it.

Are you sure “remote server” in WD terms for My Cloud doesn’t mean… well… an actual remote server? That is to say a server computer, i.e. remote computer that’s remotely located relative to your local network? A server in the “cloud” a.k.a. die Internet?

If I had to guess I would say that it’s supposed to work the following way.

A: PC
B: My Cloud 4 TB
C: My Cloud 4 TB
D: Online backup service (Internet)

You would then backup A to B, then B to D. Or! You might do it A to C, then C to D. Whether or not you can do B to C, I do not know for sure. Maybe if you move the C to the place of D (Internet). That could be an off-shore office of some company or something like that. You don’t necessarily have to use a third party server, you can own your own server, even if it’s on the Internet.

I don’t think the firmware is an issue here. Especially not when you have two identical devices with the same firmware. Double check and make sure your My Cloud model has the feature you want and that it works the way you’re expecting it to.

1 Like

I too am trying to set a backup between two identical My Cloud 4Tb drives, but at remote locations. There are instructions on how to set this up here:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=11807

The first step on the destination drive is to Set Up SSH. This worked fine.

The problem is, the second step in setting up the destination drive is “Enabling Remote Server.” It says go to Settings - Network then “The Remote Server option will be located towards bottom half of page”

There is no remote server option on either drive. I’ve tried changing the Network Services IP4 mode to static, but there is still no way to turn on the Remote Server option.

The next step says to Configure Port Forwarding, but there is no Remote Server available to do this on.

How do you enable Remote Server in order to do a remote backup?

1 Like

Same issue here… No “Remote Server option” on the second WDMyCloud 2T gen2.
On GEN1, it was possible to create safepoint between two MyCloud Gen1. WHy this function disapeared in GEN2 ? If safepoint is not available anymore and if I don’t want backup in the cloud, how can I achieve this ?

Please note that I had 2 MyCloud Gen1. One crashes and I bought a new one… Only Gen2 was available… And I face the “SSHD” password for remote backup. Okay… I’ve bought a second Gen2 hoping that the issue would be solved… but no “Remote Server option”…

Is there any hope of solution ?

As complimentary remark : it is very “frustrating” that you discover that you DID NOT purchase the same item (Gen1 vs Gen2) and that there is NO MENTION that the product you buy today is not exactly the same that you bought one year ago even if on the box appears the same name, same design, etc. The only way to make the difference is to check the part number : old GEN1 starts with 01 and new GEN2 starts with 10…

I stay tuned…

It seems that on a standard WD My Cloud one drive box, this is not possible. I am under the impression that you can do this using the WD Sync software, but I can’t access the folder on the WD My Cloud device, only folders on my actual computer, so this isn’t working either. Can someone please help us out here

WD My Cloud A -----Switch ---- Computer 1
|______Computer 2
|______Computer 3, etc.

At a different location

WD My Cloud B ----Switch ---- Computer B

I am backing up Computers 1,2,3, etc onto the My Cloud A. I would like to sync the My Cloud A to the My Cloud B so I have an offsite backup.

How can this be accomplished?

Officially it cannot be accomplished. This desire to perform a remote backup to an offsite location has been discussed in previous threads. The unofficial workaround is to use SSH and then the Rsync command, and open up ports through the firewall(s) to allow the traffic through. Here are just two recent threads:

https://community.wd.com/t/help-new-customer-keeping-the-drive-at-another-location/161354

https://community.wd.com/t/automatic-backup-files-and-distant-bakcup/160633