Unable to access shares in Windows 8.1 file manager

i found a similar topic but seems close and i think was for windows 8

i did what suggested and use MYNASNAME\myuser to connect on nas prom a sindows 8.1 clean install but does not work

can i found on mas error log? where?

i am on homenetwork configuration

Assuming your NAS is connected, and had static IP address or a reserved IP address, has the same homegroup as your pc, and you can ping it, then there are  multiple ways to connect to it. Easiest one is to press CTRL+E, scroll down to network, expand it, you should it see it there (some times Windows is slow to enumerate the network), if not then just click on Network and it should appear in the right hand pane under storage.

Alternatively, use WD quickview and see what that says.

sorry. i can see the nas and his folders but can’t access private folder with authentication

i can access pubbblic media folders

i can access same nas, same network, same folder from my mac with autentication

when i try to access private account folder on windows 8.1 i keep getting autenticatin popping up

al404 wrote:

sorry. i can see the nas and his folders but can’t access private folder with authentication

i can access pubbblic media folders

i can access same nas, same network, same folder from my mac with autentication

when i try to access private account folder on windows 8.1 i keep getting autenticatin popping up

When it pops up can you authenticate?

make sure your NAS has the same homegroup as your PC.

If you can authenticate, use Credential Manager to store your credentials.

Try this, goto control panel, user accounts, credential manager. Delete any credential with the NAS

then create new ones ex.

\<share>

then enter username

and password

HTH

Many users end up being confused by this limitation of Windows. On Windows,  you cannot use different user credentials to access different share on the same computer.

Delete any credential for you NAS stored in the Windows Credential Manager

Type net use * /delete from a command prompt

Reboot

Try to access a share that requires credentials. If there is a possibility that the same Windows user might need other credentials for that NAS in the future, do not check reconnect at logon.

It should work. But you won’t be able to then try another set of credentials until you have rebooted and/or deleted the stored credential.

i’m in same group, authentication credential request pops up when i tri to access a folder from file manager

also already did the process to delete my credential from my account

but it still does not log me in, any way toaccess an error log maybe via SSH on nas?

@Etupes, while I myself used that same net use command recently to clear any cached credentials, I believe I did not have to reboot my computer. I think one would be able to connect using different credentials immediately after using the net use command. Of course, if it doesn’t work they can reboot their computer before trying again.

al404 wrote:

but it still does not log me in, any way toaccess an error log maybe via SSH on nas?

@al404,

Others may have more accurate info than this since I don’t have a regular My Cloud but I have the new My Cloud EX2, which uses a dfferent codebase for the firmware and the file system is a bit different for many things.

However, if the log location is the same as EX2, you can try looking at the log this way . Also note, usually the log will not show too much helpful info since the really helpful and detailed info gets written in when DEBUG level of logging is enabled and that would have to be done in the firmware…but maybe even the minimal logging info might be of some use to you (?). If any of the steps don’t work you can pretty much stop because obviously the log file isn’t in the same location or some other difference is causing an issue:. Use only the commands between single quotes:

• Assuming you have SSH enabled in settings and an SSH client like PuTTY ready, log in to My Cloud using your SSH admin password
  • Go to log directory:

‘cd /var/log’

• Look at the last n number of lines in the log (replace n with the desired number - starting with a small number):

‘tail -n user.log’

OR

Look at the whole log file (sometimes could give you too much unnecessary old info and hence the tail command is preferable):

‘cat user.log’

in that log file can’t see anything via SSH

i just try to crate a new user and it works

the difference is that other user name was al404, i may guess that it want allow number as username