Unable to access share connected to a Liksys EA6500 router

I am  unable to access a network share connected to a Liksys EA6500 router USB port. Folder access is enabled on the router and the share can be accessed from all computers on the network. linux and windows shares options are both enabled on the wdlive box. The shared drive can be accessed by the wdlive using media server option. I get a spinning arrow when trying to open the share. Any ideas?

Yes, you have not set up your WDTV correctly.  Find and download the unit’s user guide at WD Support and begin reading it.

Thanks Mike. I have read the manual before posting and settings are correct. Is there something in particular you are referring to? I have searched other threads from this forum and google and none of the ‘fixes’ I’ve seen resolve this issue.

Well, it could be caused by one or more factors.  First you router hasn’t anything to do with it, because you can see the WDTV via media server.

Have you properly mapped the WDTV (drive) to your network using the WD discovery tools at the support site of your WDTV model?

Are you getting password error msgs?

You could have a Master Browser (MB) issue – search forum for that topic, and find out if your PC is the MB or some other device.  Use free tool found here:

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Are you connecteding the WDTV wirelessly or wired?

WHat version of WIndows are you using?

I am having exactly the same issue with a Netgear router and associated USB drive. (As discussed in another thread, I am also trying to get my Iomega NAS to work properly with my WDTV. But that is an entirely different problem).

Why do some people have to be so unhlepful with replies like “go away and read the documentation”.

We are trying to set up a Netshare between the router and the WDTV Live box. I can find no way of entering the network address for my netshare into the WDTV box. But, of course, I could be missing something. I usually am. At my age (mid to late 60s) this stuff gets a bit difficult.

Anyway, “Compease”, if you find a solution, do let me know, please. I promise to do the same!

EDIT:

I have mapped the share as a network drive and WDTV still fails to see it under WINDOWS SHARES or MEDIA LIBRARY.

johnash wrote:

I am having exactly the same issue with a Netgear router and associated USB drive. (As discussed in another thread, I am also trying to get my Iomega NAS to work properly with my WDTV. But that is an entirely different problem).

Why do some people have to be so unhlepful with replies like “go away and read the documentation”.

We are trying to set up a Netshare between the router and the WDTV Live box. I can find no way of entering the network address for my netshare into the WDTV box. But, of course, I could be missing something. I usually am. At my age (mid to late 60s) this stuff gets a bit difficult.

Anyway, “Compease”, if you find a solution, do let me know, please. I promise to do the same!

EDIT:

I have mapped the share as a network drive and WDTV still fails to see it under WINDOWS SHARES or MEDIA LIBRARY.

John,

No one said that here, although since, 1) most people do not even know there is a complete UG online here, and 2)  the other half don’t bother to read it, and is why I suggested he get the UG and read through it.

Did the next suggestions I gave to compease help you at all? 

You should not need to enter a network address to connect the WDTV.  The WDTV likely needs a drive w/data connected to it – as least that was the condition when I hooked up mine.  Drive must be connected BEFORE turning on WDTV; not afterward.

You should be able to connect the WDTV to your router via a wired connection or wireless.  You then need to map the drive to the Windows sharing features.  You need also be in the same workgroup, which the WD and the Win7 PC have as defaults with the name WORKGROUP (check to see if this is the case). Map the drive with the WD Discovery utility.

I do not use passwords for shares (not necessary and causes problems):  see first post of this thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/td-p/671513

Also it is adviseable to turn OFF WIndows Homegroups – it is a WIndows to Windows thing only.  Can cause problems with the WDTV

Setting up a WIndows-based home network is not easy when one first starts to do so, (I once had to start at ground zero, too) but once done it can become “easier”.  Windows Help has some tips as well as the WD FAQs.

BTW, I have around 30 devices connected/sharing/serving on my home network; two are WDTVs w/drives.  One’s age hasn’t much to do with this – I am same age as you.  What does matter is one is computer savvy, and knows where to look for help info to read when it is necessary.

DO NOT use the latest/current WDTV firmware – there are network and mp4 file-playing issues that can be avoided by using the previous firmware.  You can d/l and install the “rollback” version of the firmware if you need it.

1 Like

Thank you Mike for your helpful reply, and sorry for my negative comment.

I had already wound back the firmware, twice, as some files I still can’t get to play, though they play fine on a USB stick plugged into WDTV (that’s in another thread, http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/NAS-Problem-solved-by-factory-reset-but/m-p/794115#M33131). I had marked it as solved, re the GUI but the file playback problem is still bugging me. Perhaps I should put that into a new thread, since the old one is “solved”?

I will go away and try your other suggestions and report back. Thanks again. I hate networking, always have!

In Windows 7 and Windows 8 there no longer seems to be the option to name the homegroup. Things seem to be a little different now. Homegroup no longer appears in the directory, just “Network”.

When you say turn off homegroup, do you mean leave the homegroup, in which case it no longer exists. I can see no other way of turning this off.

I have mapped the drive to a drive letter on my PC and on that PC it appears under “Network” and I can access it and read and write to it.

But still the WDTV will not see it.

I have to say I am at a loss as to how mapping a network destination to drive on a PC will be picked up by my WDTV, especially when that PC is turned off? (Mind you, off or on, it still does not work!).

Whatever I try, it fails to see this drive. But, when I first set this all up, it did see it and read from the drive. But I have been unable to get back to that situation.

Any further advice would be welcome. Thanks.

johnash wrote:

In Windows 7 and Windows 8 there no longer seems to be the option to name the homegroup. Things seem to be a little different now. Homegroup no longer appears in the directory, just “Network”.

When you say turn off homegroup, do you mean leave the homegroup, in which case it no longer exists. I can see no other way of turning this off.

I have mapped the drive to a drive letter on my PC and on that PC it appears under “Network” and I can access it and read and write to it.

But still the WDTV will not see it.

I have to say I am at a loss as to how mapping a network destination to drive on a PC will be picked up by my WDTV, especially when that PC is turned off? (Mind you, off or on, it still does not work!).

Whatever I try, it fails to see this drive. But, when I first set this all up, it did see it and read from the drive. But I have been unable to get back to that situation.

Any further advice would be welcome. Thanks.

All comments that follow refer to Win7:

There is a way to check, and change the workgroup name.  In control panel click on System.  You will see the workgroup name.  Off to the right you will see a way to change it if necessary. Click and you can change things.  Since the WDTV defaults to WORKGROUP, suggest your PC workgroup is same name.

Homegroup:  To control to use/not use Homegroup,   from Control Panel, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings, and find Homegroup and select not to use Homegroup, (lower option), i.e. select “Use user accounts”, etc…

Here is a screen shot of how my advanced settings are set, (except for the last option, Homegroup – not enough room in screen shot)  I have my settings to not require passwords, (and WDTV set that way, too) as mentioned in my other link in msg  about network sharing.

You need to understand the subtle differences of SERVERS and SHARES:  If you devices are shared via a certain PC, then that PC needs to be ON to see shared devices on your network.  If they are servers, the PC does not need to be on.  I have devices that are either servers or shares, and in a couple of cases a device is BOTH (e.g. WDTV), and why we can see it under either condition – but the WDTV acts differently with either case.

Good luck!

Thanks, Mike for taking all the time to provide this comprehensive info.

My settings now match yours.The lead you gave me to the network settings hidden in “System” was very useful. Why can’t all these settings be together?!

At least I can now access my Iomega NAS which had also stopped connecting to WDTV! So something is going right.

I did read somewhere that incorrect, or non-matching times and dates can cause problems. I have found that the Netgear router is stuck at something like 5 years ago and there is absolutely no way of setting this correctly!

I am putting my files to share on the NAS now and the problem driving me mad now is the behavour of the WDTV playing FLV files of HD programmes on iPlayer, captured by Replay Media Catcher. They play absolutely fine for about 30 seconds then the video becomes jerky and the sound disappears. 

I put details in the other thread

NAS Problem solved by factory reset but…

Thanks again.

Glad things are working better now.  Keep at it!

I did read somewhere that incorrect, or non-matching times and dates can cause problems. I have found that the Netgear router is stuck at something like 5 years ago and there is absolutely no way of setting this correctly!

So, what router DO you have – the thread title says it is a Linksys, and now you mention Netgear – are you using two routers?  You only need one router; second one could be set up as an Accees Point, and/or you can use network switches for more wired devices.

So, 1) install the latest firmware for your router(s) and 2) the time/date settings are in the “admin” section of my Asus router (I believe).  Yours must be “somewhere”

So, you think Win7, it’s network settings, the WDTV settings, etc are frustrating?  Wait until you get into advanced settings of a dual-band router and all it’s settings!!  Another steep learning curve I had to get into for the router to work better than average (and defaults).  Taking care of a home network with 30 or so wired and wireless devices ('puters, printers, WDTVs, drives, Rokus, and many wireless devices like iOS phones/tablets, and Kindle tablets, and don’t leave out some wireless drives, too) on it full-time or from time to time is a full-time job it seems.  Everything is working well again (for now!).  Whew.

Most new people who come to these forums and who think their WDTV is “bad” and start dissing it, have problems in their network system other than the WDTV.  As you see, we have touched on a few speed bumps along the way in this thread alone.

Steve. No it is a Netgear. The thread was started by someone else with a Linksys and I tacked on as the problem was the same.

It’s a Netgear WNR3500Lv2. Actually, my network has recently got a lot simpler recently, believe it or not. For various reasons I used to have two routers on my desk. Now it’s just the one. I have recently changed service providers.

The Netgear acts as an AP as my Internet comes by microwave (?) and the aerial has its own little router into which my Netgear is plugged.

There is no way to set the time. You can select time zone but that makes no difference (current date and time is Wednesday, 01 Jan 2003 23:41:29!). I wonder if it expects to collect the time through the WAN port, which is unused, of course?

I am trying to convert the files I am having problems playing to see it that will help. I think I may have found a solution to that, which I will post on the other thread once I have proved it is! Who knows, the way things are going… later on, I may be able to put my feet up and actually watch something without an issue to resolve, until the next one comes along, of course. All this does keep the old brain active, of course.

I am trying to collect what is available of the current BBC Proms, which are wonderful to behold and listen to!

I am the original poster and hav e finally had a chance to try all of the suggestions that have been posted. Thanks to all who responded. When I scan the Lan there is no master browser listed.

LANscanner v1.55 - ScottiesTech.Info

Scanning LAN…

Scanning workgroup: WORKGROUP…

POPS-2                                   10.10.100.141     40-2c-f4-06-b7-05   WORKGROUP
POPS-ROUTER                      10.10.100.1
POPS1-PC                              10.10.100.122     40-61-86-cb-dc-96  WORKGROUP
WDTVLIVE                              10.10.100.113     00-90-a9-c0-56-eb  WORKGROUP

Press any key to exit…

I tried to find a way to resolve this but have not been successful so far.

i have also verified the time is correct on all objects and have reset the Wdlive box 

John:

There is no way to set the time. You can select time zone but that makes no difference (current date and time is Wednesday, 01 Jan 2003 23:41:29!). I wonder if it expects to collect the time through the WAN port, which is unused, of course?

This info might help:  I have a drive connected to my router’s USB port.  Works fine, but a few weeks ago when I created a new folder on the drive and it had a date of 2011.  !!!  It seems there is a feature in the admin of router to connect to the NTP Server (google it for more info) and it is some sort of time sync. for router.  I could not figure out how to get it to update time/date, but there was a message that I was not connected to the NTP Server.  So, in desperation, I changed from my Pacific time zone, saved it and then switched back, and the error msg was gone.  Then I made a new folder and time/date was fine.  I have noticed the sync gone again – I suppose it was when router was rebooted afterward, so I will keep an eye on it next router reboot.  Anyway, see if you can find a way to set the NTP Server on your router.

Compease;

Sometimes lanscan does not get the info it needs, so try running it a couple of more times in succession.  Your system HAS to have a Naster Browser, so hopefully this can make it show up.

This is what I used to get when I ran lanscan and my PC was the Master, but it only remained so as long as the PC was on.  Otherwise the WDTV took over as MB and that can cause problems as we here have discovered.  Best to have a constant MB.

Lanscan Capture.JPG

And this is what I get now that my router is the master browser:

lanscan display.JPG

Many new routers can be the master browser today.  Not all are documented to do this, tho.  Mine became the MB when I connected a drive to a new router and turned on SAMBA share in router.  This was not documented for my router – it was a pleasant surprise.  So, since the router is never turned off, the router remains the MB, 24/7.  No sharing issues anymore with WDTV,

Networking issues lurk eveywhere in our home networks, it seems.

Hope this helps.