UK Availability?

Hi All,

Have been researching the WD Live TV Hub for a few weeks and quite interesting in purchasing one, however their appears to be limited availability of this product in the UK from the usual electrical retailers.

I’ve checked WD’s Online store, which is showing as Out of Stock and also noticed that PC World / Currys have reduced the price of these to clear them out, but it’s not available to order online anymore and none of their local branches have them in stock.

I have seen it for sale at some other online retailers so I could purchase it from one of those if needed (at a much higher price :angry: ), but it started to make me think a bit.

Therefore I am wondering has the product been discontinued in the UK or a newer version on the horizon?

Darren

There is an updated version that is/has come out with a larger 2TB hard drive.

Can you not pick one up from your local PC World/Currys ?

My advice would be to get the Live Streamer without the hard drive, and buy  2 or 3TB hard drive with it. The internal hard drive is a gimmick really, and a total pain to copy to, especially if you use large files.

1 Like

The local PC World / Curry’s have no stock either. The nearest one with stock is out of travelling range.

However thanks for the advice regarding the separate hard drive.

The WDTV Live Hubs built-In Twonky Media Server (which the SMP does not have)  enables you to stream Media from the Internal Hard Drive and USB Attached Hard Drives, via DLNA to other DLNA Compliant Devices.

(eg.SMART TV’s, PS3, XBOX & WDTV Live’s)

Another, “gimmick”  i guess :neutral_face:  personally i like the internal hdd for an all-in-one device without having to attach externals all the time (makes portability easier too.)

1 Like

It is available in the UK, what you are saying is that you don’t want to pay the going rate now that Currys / PC World have offered it at £99. Of course that low price also means that they have not got any stock! 

@richUK
That’s not what I am saying.
As is out of stock from Western Digital’s own online store and Curry’s / PC World are not and have not been accepting online home delivery orders for this item for weeks now (even when it was priced at £130+) it makes you wonder why. Which brings me back to my original question of enquiring about it being discontinued or a new version on the horizon.

FYI-I’m happy paying £69.99 the Live Tv and £119.99 for a 2TB My Book Live so its not about the money.

i just checked curry’s they have them

The local PC World / Curry’s have no stock either. The nearest one with stock is out of travelling range.

Jeez give the guy a break

1 Like

dpwykes wrote:
@richUK
That’s not what I am saying.
As is out of stock from Western Digital’s own online store and Curry’s / PC World are not and have not been accepting online home delivery orders for this item for weeks now (even when it was priced at £130+) it makes you wonder why. Which brings me back to my original question of enquiring about it being discontinued or a new version on the horizon.

FYI-I’m happy paying £69.99 the Live Tv and £119.99 for a 2TB My Book Live so its not about the money.

OK however the title of your post is UK Availability? and the answer is that they are available in the UK. There does seem to be a shortage of hubs but we are unaware of anything new except the recent introduction of hubs with 500GB and 2TB discs however they also don’t seem to be available at the moment. The WD Play was the latest player and its generally accepted that it is not in anyway a replacement for either the hub or the live.

1 Like

I decided to go woth wdtvhub’s suggestion of getting the Live Streamer and will be getting seperate My Book Live hard drive soon.

I did contact Curry’s Head Office who have advised that they have catergorised TV Live Hub as end of line and will not be restocking it, hence the price reduction to clear out their stock, but as richUK stated they are available elsewhere in the UK for those that want one.