/UI and /UI/ssh page issues

Hi guys. I have found this forum an amazing source of info. Some very knowledgeable people here.  I certainly want to have some modified scripts to improve this device. nfodiz seems well on the way with these.

I have a mybooklive 2TB that we’ve had for only a couple of months. I too have done an web update.

I am having the Blank UI and ssh pages issue, didn’t start straight after an update I don’t think.

Twonky :9000 UI pages works fine

Transmission not working at all

I do not have SSH enabled. It used to work.

In  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Can-not-longer-access-mybooklive-UI/td-p/265430/page/12 Tim_B55 suggested refreshing the /UI and /ssh pages to get it to appear while in the initializing stage. This does work but not all the elements appear. By that I mean I can click the check box to enable SSH but there is no save or cancel buttons at the bottom. I noticed this just before the pages started to go missing. The Main /ui page only have the “How can we help you” sidebar appearing. “Secure your device” appears at the top but doesn’t do anything.

If the device gets to the green LED stage, the pages are empty but the WD logo appears in the browser tab.

FTP doesn’t seem to be enabled either.

Status: Connection attempt failed with “ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server”.
Error: Could not connect to server

Any ideas on this one as its not totally bricked. It does serve properly and networks properly.

I know I’ll get real advise here :slight_smile:

There isn’t a save box on the /UI/ssh page, all you have to do is tick the box and that enables it. If it’s not working, my guess is your dashboard is messed up so bad it’s not applying the change properly. Give it a try again and let me know, but without SSH you are really limited in what you can do to fix anything.

You can of course pop the drive out of the enclosure and recover your data and debrick it with either of my debrick guides.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply nfodiz.

Tried it again during the initialisation phase, but still doesnt enable. Tried the reset button button but same results, UI pages appear during initialisation phase then go blank when the LED is green. Still cant enable ssh.

So i think its messed up.

Was holding on to a faint glimmer of hope, so close but so far. Oh well.

Which debrick guide is the best course of action? I have the 3TB version. Does if wipe the whole drive?

Also want to put in one of your reset button scripts.

Thanks again

If you have a lot of data on the drive, the first section of this guide is the way to go as it doesn’t touch the data partition…

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

1 Like

Thanks

Ill give that a go and let you know how it went

Sounds good… Are you able to make a direct sata connection to the drive once you pull it? USB to SATA cables are very hit and miss with the script for some reason.

1 Like

Yep i have a box with an eSata cable.

I have burnt the RescueDisc to a dvd and it boots fine but wont load the graphical environment,

I can get to the console and type startx and it loads a few thing then the screen goes blank, like theres no input. (50" panasonic tv with PC input)

Now im stuck. trying other book menu options

The VESA GUI doesnt load either

I have onboard VIA P4M890 S3 UniChrome Pro video adapter

After the screen is blank the HD light flashes for 5-10sec and then goes silent

Is it possible to put the script and rootfs.img on the boot dvd?

because i coudnt get to the GUI i tried a left hand approach

I found a couple commands in linux to use to find the usb details

modprobe usb-storage

fsarchiver probe

This brought up a table that showed the devices, for example

# fsarchiver probe
[======DISK======] [=============NAME==============] [====SIZE====] [MAJ] [MIN]
[sda] [ST3808110AS] [74.53 GB] [8] [0]
[sdf] [DISK 2.0] [7.65 GB] [8] [80]

[=====DEVICE=====] [==FILESYS==] [======LABEL======] [====SIZE====] [MAJ] [MIN] 
[sda1] [ext3] [boot] [768.70 MB] [8] [1] 
[sda2] [LVM2_member] [<unknown>] [65.78 GB] [8] [2] 
[sda3] [ext3] [spare] [8.00 GB] [8] [3] 
[sdf1] [ext4] [usb8gb] [7.64 GB] [8] [81]

i could then check and found your instructions were exactly what i needed to use. no substitution.

script has just finished to will go put it all back togeather and see what happens.

UNBRICKED, booted normally.

Thanks!

Spoke too soon, LOL

Seems to be running normally except a blinking red led.

Did you have a smart error in the dashboard by chance? If so ssh in and issue the command from the guide to fix it and then do a short diagnostic test from the dashboard

smartctl -s on /dev/sda

yeah I did have a dashboard smart error. I found that command in the instructions and did a short diagnostic which stopped at 90% but i left it and next i looked it was at 10% again and finished completely. diagnostic came back “Good”.

The Red flashing led remained untill i restarted the drive.

So all is good now?

1 Like

yeah seems to be ok.

HD seems to be working alot, not sure what the active time is on that but it has idle periods so maybe im just seeing it when its busy. not sure whats happening, databases are up to date.

Got an alert for a firmware update but wont be doing that.

Dashboard shows current files as

Description:My Book Live Firmware
Version:MyBookLive 02.11.09-053 : Core F/W
Last Update:Tue 11 May 2010 04:35:06 AM EST

Made a image of the current setup and installed the reset button downgrade script and pointed it to that image so hopefull can recover to this same stage if required.

Thanks for your help.

That’s the same way I have mine setup :slight_smile:

Hey Nfodiz,

Question?

Now that we have installed a different reset button script, Would doing a factory reset from the Dashboard run the same script?

Nope, those are different scripts that get run when you do a factory restore from the dashnoard

1 Like