Ubuntu 18 nautilus cant find wd my cloud

Hello. I have been using Ubuntu for years with MYCLOUD just fine. All of a sudden I cannot access it through Nautilus (File explorer). I can still access the mycloud dashboard through firefox using the IP address.

I upgraded to Ubuntu 18 but that did not fix the issue. Also rebooted mycloud and router.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Dan

Did samba get disabled on the mycloud?

Check to be sure that sharing did not get toggled off somehow.

I can still view the files on my cloud through my tablet and TV. Everything seems to be working fine except through my laptop running Ubuntu. It seems like sharing is on. I think it is an Ubuntu problem. Unfortunately I am not the typical Ubuntu user that knows how to use it. I just use it because it is free.

Ok, could be an issue with samba-common not being installed.

you can find out quickly by pressing CTRL + ALT + T , which will bring up a command prompt, then running

dpkg -s samba-common

You should get output that looks like this if samba-common is installed.

Package: samba-common
Priority: optional
Section: net
Installed-Size: 282
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: all
Multi-Arch: foreign
Source: samba
Version: 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.13
Replaces: samba (<< 3.0.20b-1), samba-doc (<< 2:4.0.5~), samba4-common (<< 4.0.0~alpha7-1)
Depends: ucf, debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.6~)
Recommends: samba-common-bin
Conflicts: samba-doc (<< 2:4.0.5~), samba4-common (<< 4.0.0~alpha7-1), swat
Conffiles:
 /etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba 732cae8c1d0d7a7f80e8597ae551ea0d
 /etc/pam.d/samba a69b859744494a52ecf10bb604544093
 /etc/samba/gdbcommands 898c523d1c11feeac45538a65d00c838
Description: common files used by both the Samba server and client
 Samba is an implementation of the SMB/CIFS protocol for Unix systems,
 providing support for cross-platform file and printer sharing with
 Microsoft Windows, OS X, and other Unix systems.
 This package contains common files used by all parts of Samba.
Homepage: http://www.samba.org
Original-Maintainer: Debian Samba Maintainers <pkg-samba-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>

If it is not installed, you will get something like this:

dpkg-query: package 'samba-common' is not installed and no information is available

If it is not installed, you can install it very easily with this one line in the console. (it will prompt for your password.)

sudo apt-get install samba-common

samba-common contains such fun things as mount.cifs and pals, which are needed for ubuntu to be able to work with samba shares. The file manager you refer to will not work if the needed helper/support libraries/programs are not installed, and installing samba-common will install them if they are not already there (as apt-get will pull them, because they are needed dependencies for samba-common).

Get back with me on if we need to try something else.

1 Like

Thank you very much. This fixed my problem. Your directions were very clear and easy to follow. Usually the advice given from Ubuntu people is way too complicated for me. Thank you again.