Twonky Forums. Twonky 'Guru' admits NAS systems aren't up to the challenge of streaming

Recently I’ve been asking for help over on the Twonky Forums. One reply back from a Twonky Rep another from a Twonky Guru. My problem is with Movies. (Only .mp4’s seem to be working…)

Here’s what I was told from the ‘Guru’:

In my wildest dreams I would not even attempt this on a nas device 
(the cpu on 99% of the consumer nas’s are not up to the challenge) 

‘Twonky Rep’ replies:

Thanks Phibertron for sharing your knowledge. 

I reply: 

Are you Slamming WD MyBookLive!? This software “Twonky” came with This NAS HD purchase. So are you saying WD did wrong by purchasing Twonky for their device? Ouch, I bet the sales people at Twonky would argue? Anyway, I found (without any help from this forum, sadly) that I can convert my .wmv’s, .avi’s. and .mov’s to .mp4’s with iSquint. And they play on my PS3 REALLY good, YES, with my NAS! LOL!

See complete post: http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/problem_with_the_twonky_thats_on_a_mybooklive_streaming_video_to_ps3?rfm=1

So WD, I ask you this, if Twonky doesn’t feel your NAS HD is able to stream video well enough. Why are you using Twonky?

I know of another Media app that (doesn’t trancode, same as Twonky) but will play all of my video formats where it seems that Twonky will only play my .mp4’s

Wow. What a powerful misquote!

theenoid wrote:

Recently I’ve been asking for help over on the Twonky Forums. One reply back from a Twonky Rep another from a Twonky Guru. My problem is with Movies. (Only .mp4’s seem to be working…)

Here’s what I was told from the ‘Guru’:

In my wildest dreams I would not even attempt this on a nas device 
(the cpu on 99% of the consumer nas’s are not up to the challenge) 

he’s referring ONLY to transcoding, not to general streaming.

And since the Twonky version 5.1.9 installed on the MBL doesn’t DO transcoding at all, the rest of your argument is based on a flawed premise.