Two (or more) Devices

I have two WD TV Live boxes. They both work really well streaming content from a PC running Serviio.

The only (minor) issue I have is that if I watch a video part way through on one box (downstairs) and then want to continue to watch it on the other one (upstairs) I can’t “resume” from where I left off.

Is there anyway of synchronizing two (or more) boxes to enable me to do this?

I’m guessing not, because the video location is stored in the box and not the server, but you never know.

AndyMeToo wrote:

I’m guessing not, because the video location is stored in the box and not the server, but you never know.

Correct.  One player doesn’t have any idea what you have played on another player.

What I do if I want to move from media room player to bedroom player is to first pause movie and note time in movie, then stop it.  Once start playing it (from start) on other player, I skip to the time.  I never have trouble with the “skip to desired time” functionality, but often just use the “skip by 10 minutes” functionality (FF then Next repeatedly).

well, I can think of a way to do this

copy the resume point table from one device to the other

but to do so will require some hacking

and putting together a few custom scripts if you want to attempt to automate the process

all stuff that is beyond the scope of this forum

That sounds interesting. I’ve just been looking at another forum and it does look as though there might be a way to do it.

I wonder if you can store the resume point table on the server.

I see that someone has made a similar suggestion on the “ideas” forum.

yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of a cron job to run rsync between the 2 boxes

Issue may be with you using a media server. I have 3 wd tv live devices but I use the wd media library. I can start a movie on one device, stop it and then start it on another and it asks me to resume. It remembers exactly where I left off.