Two backups with different files each

I am running the My Book Essentials external drive on my Windows 7. I have a need to create a backup for several files on occasion and another backup with just one of those files daily. Is it possible to have dual backup configurations? I can get by without scheduling them and will manually choose which to run. I will start them manually also.
All suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Russell

Hello RRussell,

It is not possible to create parallel backup on same drive with two different plans. It is best to setup the one backup using WD software (like WD Backup or WD Smartware) and another backup using operating system backup program (Like File History in Windows or Time Machine in Mac) on the same drive at different times as you want.

1 Like

Thanks very much for responding to my post and again for the helpful information.

You wrote: “another backup using operating system backup program (Like File History in Windows or Time Machine in Mac) on the same drive”. What exactly are you referring to by “same drive”? I know that Windows File History can backup to external drives, are you suggesting that I could use the WD Backup drive for that File History backup as well?

I hope that I’m making sense, my wife says that I don’t.

Hello Tech_Wander. I am here reading your comments because I am having trouble making two different backups using WD Backup. It seems to me that I can not have two different WD (4TB) passports and two different plans. It seems to me that I have to delete the previous plan and create a new one each time I connect the “other” WD passport to my laptop, which is what I think you are saying above. I am reading reading your reply correctily?

Each time you create a new plan WD backup will take backup of your all the files again on your drive . and unnecessarily will eat up space on your drive.

• you can check the backed up files on your drive in WD backup.swstor folder and keep opening the folders until you see history and volume folder . All your files are saved in the volume folders.

• so you can have only one backup plan for one drive at a time if you want to use WD backup.

• but if you want two different backup plans and you are using windows 8 or windows 10 then you can use WD backup for one plan and Windows file history for the other on the same drive at a same time .

How can you quickly delete a backup file from the drive? It’s taking DAYS for this to get done. There must be an easier way, No?