TVersity and viewmy.tv

I’ve installed TVersity on my server it works great with my WD TV Live.  I found this great internet TV site that supports TVersity.  It works great on the PC but when I use it with my WD TV Live, I get the following message,  “Unable to play the selcted file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats.”

I would be greatly appreciated if someone can tell me is I can do something in TVersity or with the WD TV Live.

Happy Holidays.

Steve

I get same message.

I suggest we should check this with tVersity support.

I’ve installed TVersity on my server it works great with my WD TV Live.  I found this great internet TV site that supports TVersity.  It works great on the PC but when I use it with my WD TV Live, I get the following message,  “Unable to play the selcted file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats.”

This seems contradictory. You say TVersity works great on your WDTV Live but it doesn’t work with that internet site you found. So how does TVersity work great if it doesn’t work? I’m confused. :dizzy_face:

You’re absolutely right, it is confusing.  I’m sorry for that.  WD TV Live works great as advertise, but when you use it with TVersity, it is a different story.  In general, TVersity combined with WD TV Live, works fine except as I just discovered with the Internet TV web site "viewmy.tv ", I get this “Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats.” message. 

I’m expect it is due to the limitation of the WD TV Live and certain streaming internet content is not supported.  I guess the next step is to find out what I can do to TVersity to be able to transform the content to a supported file format.  It is to bad because viewmy.tv has thousands of channels that can be viewed on the internet.  The great feature of viewmy.tv is it has a button to confiqure TVersity to the selected station. 

Would any know of another Internet TV site that works great with TVersity and WD TV Live?

Fly800 wrote:

Would any know of another Internet TV site that works great with TVersity and WD TV Live?

I don’t, but I haven’t investigated it much. I saw on TVersity’s web page that they have a “pro” version that includes a lot of content. Who knows if it would work with the WDTV Live?

I did learn something from the TVersity web, though. In a video they have posted, two guys discuss the pros and cons of TVersity. One points out that TVersity uses your computer to transcode video into a format that the receiving device (WDTV Live?) can play, and the transcoding may cause some degradation of the original content. Transcoding may also cause the problem you refer to with viewmy.tv. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes with these services, and figuring out waht works with what is like unraveling a bowl of spaghetti.

I think you’re right.  I know when I’m watching movies of which are located on my server, the quality is acceptable, but how it does it, I don’t have a clue.   I know I’ve tried different configuration settings in the Transcoding setuo but there are limited selections.   I’ll need to investigate it further.  Thanks for your comment.

Cheers

I can’t help with tversity itself, but playon media server works really well with wd live. Free 7 day fully functioning trial.

I can view my content on my main TV via cat5, but also (added bonus for me) can watch it via my wii which is in the bedroom on the smaller tv. Works pretty well. Hulu and other sites too.

I already tried playon.  You’re right it is slick.  The problem I have is I’m from Canada and playon has limited channels for Canadians.  The other problem, I’m looking for more like TV channels that continually stream video not downloads.  I’ve noticed that most content on playon is downloaded with short segments like You Tube. 

My understanding of TVersity is that a hardware profile for the “live” needs to be created by WD.  This

would tell the server what and how to send data to the "live.  TVersity works fantastic at the basic media

streaming of music, pictures and video, I use it with transcoding turned off.  The problem with the TV sites

is the web pages are XML and TVersity can handle all the XML and pass the video content on to the media

player.  It just doesn’t know about the “live” and it’s capabilities… so until WD does some talking to TVersity

we can only waIt.  I’ve tried a few configurations so far, but no web TV yet.  I’ll let you know if I find a compatable profile

It’s really to bad, cause what I’ve seen the “live” Tversity combo would easily be the best $ cost solution on the market.

Thanks for your response.  I’m very curious what changes Version 1.01.12 release was suppose to be.  It would be greatly appreciated a greater support for TVersity.  We’ll see.

Thanks a cheers

Steve