TVDB Get Content info not working - movies still work

Hi

Since yesterday I can’t get content information for any tv episodes at all. I’ve even removed existing content information that I was able to get from using the automatic feature from before but now even those do not work any more. I am able to get movie content information without any problems at all.

I’ve reset, upgraded firmware, downgraded after I realised that the newest firmware can’t see my HDD, changed DNS, etc.

Completely out of ideas

I had the same issue until I looked into it. When you scan the database for content and it can’t find it, right below the keyboard is a setup symbol (like a gear) go into that and choose the TVDB source. Took me forever to figure that out.

I should have mentioned that I have tried switching the source and that hasn’t helped.

It is really bizarre as it was working perfectly fine a few days ago. I’ve tried renaming the files too and no success.

The only error message I get is “Network not available”

Wireless is defnately connected as movies still work perfectly fine.

Since the start of the year, going to the TVDB websirte (in a traditional way, on a PC) is very hit and miss.  Do a search for their forums - lots of people have been having trouble.

I wouldn’t worry too much, just try again later.

Steve W

I’ve just tested this at my brother’s house and the same issue is occurring on his too.

edit: should also mention we are both on  Firmware Ver. 1.12.14

This link no longer works so I think there is something wrong with tvdb at the moment.

http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=dexter&language=en

I also have encountered the “Network not available” message when trying to download content from TVDB.  Since the issue comes and goes, my assumption has been that it is a TVDB issue.  I have seen no evidence that it is an SMP issue.  Just try again later is my suggestion.

Yeah, that error message is itself an error.   It will say network unavailable if the TVDB API returns an error.

For example, if you try to fetch an invalid episode number, you’ll get that error.

Example:   Scrubs.S01E80.mkv 

There is no episode 80, and if you try to get the info, it’ll give you the network error.

You are certainly NOT on your own with this problem which seems to have occured over the last weekend - … but in the meantime - Have you tried the progam Hubflow 1.42.app (for mac) - I think they do PC version as well - It is absolutely brilliant - just point it to a folder containing all episodes for your selected prog and it generates an xml and metathumb for everything in a split second. I just named all 39 episodes of Stingray from 1961 … ! cool.

You may find that you use this all the time instead of the usless thetvdb (if that IS what is causing the present issue) - I am assumeing that the great majority of people dont even both naming their stuff which is why more people are not screaming about it !

Awesome info Sibar, I’ll check it out!

Thanks

No prob - it would be really helpfuk if someone on this borad set up a section for just the subject of metada-sources so that we could all benefit from finds such as this which has taken me about a year to discover this little program ! - I posted a request for someone to post additional working meta-source links but as yet no-one has replied - I’m not sure anyone has ever really complied any - but we’ll see - I only posted the request a couple of hours ago … enjoy the program and remember to check the metathumb box so it generates that instead of a jpg.

I’ve just loaded it up and I’m getting a “no connection to the database” message along the bottom whenever I try to search for a tv episode. I’m assuming this program uses TVDB too? 

Are you gettng the same error?

sibar wrote:

You are certainly NOT on your own with this problem which seems to have occured over the last weekend - … but in the meantime - Have you tried the progam Hubflow 1.42.app (for mac) - I think they do PC version as well - It is absolutely brilliant - just point it to a folder containing all episodes for your selected prog and it generates an xml and metathumb for everything in a split second. I just named all 39 episodes of Stingray from 1961 … ! cool.

You may find that you use this all the time instead of the usless thetvdb (if that IS what is causing the present issue) - I am assumeing that the great majority of people dont even both naming their stuff which is why more people are not screaming about it !

HubFlow has 2 main functionalities:

1. Movies/TV series metadata retriever: The online databases that HubFlow
    uses are: themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com
  2. XML Editor: This allows the creation of XML data when nothing exists on line
    (e.g.: home movie)

http://tobogan.nozonenet.com/HubFlow/Home.html

There is a little bug I have noticed (on Mac as I am) - if you get this message - just quit the prog and restart it - that seems to fix it. It’s happened to me a few times …

Nope doesn’t work :cry:

I’ve tried both the Windows version and Java and both have the same error. Are you able to establish a connection yourself at this time?

Mrskids wrote:

I’ve just loaded it up and I’m getting a “no connection to the database” message along the bottom whenever I try to search for a tv episode. I’m assuming this program uses TVDB too? 

Are you gettng the same error?

The online databases that HubFlow uses are: themoviedb.org and thetvdb.com

The TVDB guys are aware of the problem

Wish there was an alternative

Just tested it on my mac - it wouldnt connect - so i quit and then ran it again - entered “Call the Midwife” it found it … I highlighted it - clicked on posters - it found the poster for it - I checked metathumbs - and then save and directed to my Call the Midwife seies 2 folder - it instantly completed all the metathumbs (numbered from 1 to 7) and the xml files correctly.

Here is a little quandry though for you all - when I go to try and get the same information directly from the WD it gives me the Netwrok not Connected message - so how come this little program can find the data - and the WD cant ??? - this is becoming a really odd problem.

Just out of interest - what TV prog are you trying to find - let me try it