TV series episode sorting still wrong after 2 YEARS!

And this makes the entire Media Library mode unusable. I just go there to do a manual rescan (because auto rescan is also bugged) so I can get content info of newly copied stuff. Switching back and forth is very inconvenient. Also, sometimes I forget to go back to network share mode and watch the wrong episode of a series because of this.

Do you intentionally annoy your customers with this 2-year old bug? Do we need to start writing bad reviews on Amazon and other big webshops to make you listen and do something about it?

JamesBond007 wrote:

Do you intentionally annoy your customers with this 2-year old bug? Do we need to start writing bad reviews on Amazon and other big webshops to make you listen and do something about it? 

If you want to write reviews about bugs that don’t exist, well, that’s up to you – but it was fixed a long time ago.

If you use the TV Show filter, the episodes sort numerically by epsiode.

If you don’t want to use the TV Show filter, the files will be sorted alphabetically by title as defined in the metadata.

Though it may not do what you “want” it to do, it is working as WD intends, thus it’s not a bug.  … and there are myriad other ways to get what you want.

JamesBond007 wrote:

(because auto rescan is also bugged)

It is?  Can you elaborate?  (None of your former posts mention anything about it.)

The TV Show filter is useless to me, because it would just change the problem from switching source modes to switching filters every time I would want to watch a movie. If I could use the Media Library, I would always use the Folder filter and expect proper sorting there.

It would take about 3 seconds for somebody could replace that %d with %2d in the XML writing code to fix this issue. Or they could copy the fix from Network Share view where the sorting is correct.

Media Library rescan is set to 1 hour and I always cold start my WDTV. New files never appear until I explicitly clear media library or do a rescan. I think it worked about 3 firmwares ago, but can’t remember when it went wrong. Deleting .wdtv folders didn’t fix it either. Made the sorting problem even more a PITA but I wouldn’t care if I could remain in Media Library mode so I can quicly rescan.

Maybe get Q branch to take a look, they are pretty tech savvy.

Sorry couldn’t resist :smiley:

Regards

slip

JamesBond007 wrote:

The TV Show filter is useless to me,

Well, that’s fine – doesn’t change the fact, though, that it works as intended.   It’s not a bug.   It just isn’t what you want.

JamesBond007 wrote:

Media Library rescan is set to 1 hour and I always cold start my WDTV. 

How is it supposed to rescan if you’re completely shutting down your WDTV?

OK, so you think it’s normal to have to jump through hoops if I want to watch something. Unfortunately so does WD. My requirements are very simple: I want to turn on my player, select a movie or a TV show episode and start playing without changing modes, filters or bowing 3 times toward east. I guess it’s too much to ask for.

The player (is supposed to) update the Media Library on cold boot. The ‘Updating…’  text does appear for a few secs but the new files do not appear. Probably some lazy programmer thought it’s enough to check the system uptime and not the last update of the database file.

And before you ask why the cold boot is, it’s because of a third bug that doesn’t allow my NAS to spin down because the player constantly does something on the hard drive for hours and hours.

JamesBond007 wrote:

The TV Show filter is useless to me

Agreed, gave up on it a long time ago.

JamesBond007 wrote:

 

The player (is supposed to) update the Media Library on cold boot. 

It hasn’t been this way in probably a year or more.

The only thing done on a boot is an integrety check of the database.  Content rescans aren’t done on bootup.   Probably due to the loads of complaints people had about how long it took to redo the library every time they started their player.

Not sure about your “sleep” issue – I have four NASes on my network and two WDTVs in Standby – they’re all happily sleeping as I type.

Thanks, I didn’t know that. As I said, it wouldn’t be a big problem to hit Rescan if I could stay in Media Library mode forever.

The great advantage of sorting being based off of the xml files is that xml files are easy to edit, so you can make your box sort things however you want (if it truly matters to you).  I change names of lots of my movies, and yes, I “fix” the episode numbering.  Quickly wrote a (Linux) script to do it, but not that much work even by hand.  I believe people have posted the name of a Windows program that makes it easy to select a group of files and use regex’s to change text (just change “Season m - n” to “Season m - 0n” in the xml files).  That is all you need.  Trivial.

Yes, I could put a cron job on my NAS that does this, but I also consider this a hoop I need to jump through. If the player would have been a free giveaway I wouldn’t mind to do various hacks but this is a product, I have paid for it so I expect it to work properly.

Of course in the time you have spent complaining about this you could have had it fixed yourself multiple times over.  Here is a news flash for you:  manufacturers do not design products precisely to your specifications, and different people want different things.  I am often very surprised by people’s complaints on here about how they want the SMP to work, as I find their proposals quite non-functional.  I seldom think any piece of software or hardware works exactly as I would want it to.  My solution is figure out how to make it work as I want or (in the case of software) make my own alternative.  Such is the case with the sorting of TV shows on the SMP.  Spent 10min writing/debugging script and have never had to spend more than another couple of minutes on the issue in the >two years I have owned the things.  Problem 100% completely solved.  I have a bunch of scripts for putting video rips and other things into the form that I want, another bunch for maintaining my digital photos as I want, and on and on.  We have many appliances (e.g., coffee makers) and other pieces of hardware around the house that I have similarly re-engineered to make them work “properly” (i.e., the way I want them to).  I frankly cannot imagine continually using something that doesn’t work as I want it to when I had the ability to “fix” it, but hey, if that’s how you want to live…

1 Like

ncarver wrote:

 I seldom think any piece of software or hardware works exactly as I would want it to.  My solution is…

Yikes.  I find apps all the time that are awesome just the way they are. If I visit their forums it is to say this product rocks.

Maybe you are expecting too much.   Most end users (who ARE THE marketplace) don’t want to have to hunt for  solutions and certainly can not “make” them.

News flash for you:  manufacturers do design products precisely to my needs.  aka “the next killer app”

I think 99% of the user’s are not IT professionals like you and me and don’t have the necessary skills to implement hacks if something goes wrong. They expect to work it properly. And even if I could do what you suggest, I have better things to do with my free time than to fix a bad product.

I learned to live with this problem most of the time, but yesterday I accidentally watched half of episode 10 of a show after episode 3 before I realized I’m watching the wrong episode. Now the whole season is spoiled and got pissed about the ignorance of the developers.

JamesBond007 wrote:

… yesterday I accidentally watched half of episode 10 of a show after episode 3 before I realized I’m watching the wrong episode. Now the whole season is spoiled and got pissed about the ignorance of the developers.

Wow.  That speaks volumes.

dcb917 wrote:


ncarver wrote:

 I seldom think any piece of software or hardware works exactly as I would want it to.  My solution is…


Yikes.  I find apps all the time that are awesome just the way they are. If I visit their forums it is to say this product rocks.

 

Maybe you are expecting too much.   Most end users (who ARE THE marketplace) don’t want to have to hunt for  solutions and certainly can not “make” them.

 

News flash for you:  manufacturers do design products precisely to my needs.  aka “the next killer app”

Glad to know who they design these things for!  :wink:

But I am not expecting too much, since I do not expect what I buy to work exactly how I think it should.  If it works well enough and I don’t have the skills to improve it, then I will be OK with it.  However, if I have the skills to improve it then I certainly will.  I won’t just get on a forum and complain over and over about it.  For the SMP, this has meant writing a bunch of scripts to process xml files and video files, hand editing some xml files, and playing with advanced Samba settings.  For our digital cameras it has meant writing dozens of scripts to rename, resort, resize, and so forth, the photo files exactly how I want it done (and with one easy command/click).  For most of our coffee makers, it has meant adding power diodes to reduce water flow rate (which greatly improves flavor for small pot sizes).  For our cat water fountains it has meant changes to eliminate costly filters, reduce pump flow rates to reduce noise, etc.  And on and on.

You say that most people don’t want to do this sort of thing, and yet I see an awful lot of people on these forums who are developing and using things like thumbgen.  So I am hardly alone in wanting things the way I want them.  This is much easier to achieve with computer software of course, than with most things.

Unfortunately this attitude makes companies lazy. They can cut the cost by spending less on QA and rely on the community to fix the **bleep** they are releasing. I don’t think you would like your car the same way, for example.

JamesBond007 wrote:

 I don’t think you would like your car the same way, for example.

Modding of cars isn’t done???  Heck, even Walmart is full of add-on do-dads like extra storage bins, cup holders, etc., so you can make your car more the way you want it.  These are the same level of “modification” that we are talking about you having to do to get the SMP to sort TV shows the way you want:  a few minutes of your time and minimal specialized skills.

JamesBond007 wrote:

They can cut the cost by spending less on QA and rely on the community to fix the **bleep** they are releasing.

All being based on the notion that the way YOU want it, is the way to go. Doubtful.

OK, I give up. Please improve this ‘feature’ by displaying TV show episodes in random order in folder view, it would make finding the next episode even more fun.