Turning HUB on and off without rebuilding library?

My wd hub is arriving soon and in the mean time ive been browsing these forums. Ive seen quite a few people say that to rebuild their library they turn off the hub and back on again. I will be turning off my hub everynight and i dont really want to have to rebuild the library everytime. Is there away to stop it rebuilding everytime its turned off and on?

There are two “Off” modes:

STANDBY:   Services continue to run; HD and network still function.   Fast to start up, no rebuild of media library.

FULL OFF:   Everything Stops.   Library rebuilds when you turn it back on.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason i ask is because the hub will be connected to a bank of devices that gets turned off at the wall socket every night. From browsing the forums its seems that the media library took some time to compile for some people as in hours. And I have about 2.5tb worth of movies ripped from my blu rays and didnt want to wait hours for the library to rebuild everytime i turned on the device.

From further reading it appears that the people whos media library was taking a long time might of had other issues.

So perhaps my question should of been how long does it take the media library to build 2.5tb of files of 10-24gb in size? And what are the differences pros/cons of turning the media library off. Thanks again for helping.

Best suggestion is not to plug it in there. Plug it directly into a surge protector for the best results! Like most modern devices, it shouldn’t be totally powered off unless you are moving it etc., and especially with a built in hard drive cutting power to the device often can lead to data loss.

Higrob24 wrote:

So perhaps my question should of been how long does it take the media library to build 2.5tb of files of 10-24gb in size? And what are the differences pros/cons of turning the media library off. Thanks again for helping.

The issue with media library taking ages to recompile might have more to do with the number of files than the volume of data.

Your files sound fairly large, so I’m guessing the number of them isn’t huge (several hundred)?  I think you might be alright.  If not, you might need to explore running the Hub from a separate socket.

ardvark, Thanks for taking the timeto answer but, Sorry that a) doesnt answer my questions and b) is a bit far fetch. Turning off a harddrive or any computer device isnt a problem if done correctly. Obviously im not going to yank the power out or turn it off when the harrdrive is in use.

But if iturning it off by holding the power button down for 3/5 seconds then turn it off at the wall socket i cant see that causing any problems. Nor will turning it on if it did then almost every external hardrive out there would be useless.

so would my tv, router, ps3, nas ,laptop, pc, etc

Sadly that is the case for ALL COMPUTERS - Phones, PCs, DVRs, anything with data storage or a processor really. Turning the device on and off has two negative side effects - #1- something could be reading or writing to the drive at the time and this can lead to data loss if the file gets corrupted. and #2- the on/off switch will eventually wear out requring a replacement remote and/or device.

Remeber that hard drives generally only last 3-5 years - this is a major reason why. You are much better off (imho) leaving them running all the time than turning them off…

To answer the question I missed, it will take multiple hours for it to compile a library that big - since you normally only have to do it in the rare event of a power loss, or when connecting a new drive its would not be not a problem for most users (feel free to correct me if i’m wrong here guys - as far as i’ve read no one really seems to be connecting power/disconnecting power regularly? )

Advark Said:

Sadly that is the case for ALL COMPUTERS - Phones, PCs, DVRs, anything with data storage or a processor really. Turning the device on and off has two negative side effects - #1- something could be reading or writing to the drive at the time and this can lead to data loss if the file gets corrupted. and #2- the on/off switch will eventually wear out requring a replacement remote and/or device.

Regarding your point number one. You could be talking about anything here if you turn it off when its doing something its always going to cause trouble. Car, Washing Machine, Etc etc.

I still believe that its better to turn any electrical device off when not in use. If you do it correctly it should not cause any problems. Hard drives  for home use are not meant to be on all the time. which is why your drives most likely only last 3-5 years.  I dont think I have a drive under 3yrs old and all are still going fine.

Regarding your post about the on off button wearing out, I cant believe that youre actually serious with that. If you are, Turning the device on and off when not in use would still make the on and off button less used then almost any other button on the remotre especially the directionaly buttons and the ok button. So if any were to wear out, it would not be the on/off button, and again I’ve got  remotes for TV and device that are donkey years old that have not worn out.

I’ve had the Hub for about a week now, and I turn it off when not in use and turn it on when I want it.

Its only a small newwork so its easy to tell when the hard drive is in use or not. And everything is going well.

Secondly it takes a few minutes if that to compiile the Library each time, certainly not more than 5 and no where near hours.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my OP.