Turn off cloud services but still have access on internal home network?

Hi team…

Wow lots of negativity going on here for such a entry level device… Still understand that the average mums and dads are expecting a lot more then they bactually get in such a low end sharing device…but good to see that the new firmware fixes some of the issues with speed.

My question is… As I have a synology hooked up to the same modem and then we have placed the WD Mycloud on to the same network can I turn off the cloud services and still get access to it on my local network…i.e 10.1.1.6 (which is its IP)?

In don’t want to turn it off and find that I can’t get into it as it will take hours trying to setup the devices that I have got hooked to it…

Reason is I am getting some weird the ngs going on with port conflicts due to running XBMC off a shared database off the Synology…as in port 80 is used for the remote controls… Also I need to move the WDmyclud out of the routers IP range…out to .100 as well…still need to do this…

Otherwise pretty happy with it…people just have to realize that these things are entry level and are actually pretty dam good considering they are not really a full blown NAS with separate CPU and memory in them to take the load off the inbuilt chips that are running these things…

Its to be expected that indexing and media scanning is going to slow it down while its doing this service…but I feel this is not explained so well for the plebs thus they get all uptight when the box goes into crawl mode after transferring movies and photos.

K…I feel I  know the answer to my question but just want some confirmation before I do it…

Thanks in advance…

Also remember readers… For every negitivr comment here there there is probably stacks of happy plug and play customers that don’t feel the need to get on a forum to whinge about how bad these things are…

Head to the synology forums…you get the same there…half of it is the tech…what we perceive verses what we actually have and our big “now” generation…where by actually most people don’t understand the auctusly power they have at thier finger tips.

You don’t need the cloud services to access the cloud shares through SMB or to acces the UI. I have turned off everything I could on this NAS to use it as a backup for a Synology: media server, cloud acess, iTunes server, ftp, scanning/indexing background services, and, of course auto-update :slight_smile:

just on that SMB bit… 

so really if I am using SMB to pull the videos down to say the Samsung Tablet using the Archos video player which will index them in to the housemates tablet and plays back fine… then really no need to have the UPNP servers going as I aready have enough going on with the Synology and a huge XBMC lib. of enertainment… 

This is really only a network strorage device for the room mate so she can have her own things going… as I told her and to keep it K>I>S>S then its better for her to go low end as really to get a Synology is just way too much for the average person.

the only thing I can see the indexing is going to be good for is photo’s… so if she doesnt want to use it to show her photos to people then really this can be turned off too… 

You can install clean debian on this NAS and do what you want.

Or you can try use OMV. (OpenMediaVault)

yes, if it was mine I probably would go this way… but as its a 2ndary system for the Flatemate… All I want it to do is stream her movies… back up her photos and play the music… 

We have tied it in to a new TCL smart tv and seems to be streaming fine… but the TV only likes AVI which is a bit of a let down… 

I am looking at how I can side load apps to it as did that recently for a friend on his Toshba smarttv and got him up and running with Kodi(XBMC) and he is chuffed… 

Getting back to the Question… I can see some of the problems attached to turning of the cloud services… 

The Android apps wont update the last cached infomation… i.e the photos program wont add in the new directries we have added… but will still play the exsisting ones that it has cached info for… which is a bit strange… as it is still accessing the disk as its not caching the photos to the device… 

Anyway can work around that by turning it on for a night and letting it update then turn it off again until next time there is a bit upload of photos… 

One of the main reasons for all of this is I am finding that with the Cloud services on… its interfereing with overall network performance, Well thats what I am thinking… as before we addded this in to the network… I was just working off the Synology streaming around the house… and no problems with net drop outs … but as soon as we added this to the router it started to get jinky on us… 

the other way i could go is take the Synology off the main router and place it on another subnet… which could be something i might do if the main router doesnt play nice with both of these two boxes plugged in to it.

the other thing two… which is a port conflict… the WD likes to hog 80… where my XBMC remotes also like to use this too… and I was finding them not being able to connect to my three XBMC setups around the house… easy fix of course is change all the ports…but as she doesnt need remote access… the turning off of cloud services hopefully fixes all of this.