Trying to pull data off My Cloud with Thermaltake SATA reader

Hello all,
I have a My Cloud that failed after about one year–quickly blinking red light, googled around, but couldn’t find a way to rehabilitate it.

I wanted to recover some of the data I had on it, so I recently borrowed a Thermaltake blacX, removed the housing from the drive itself, and connected it to my Macbook Pro (2012). I got the error “the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer.” I ran Disk Utility’s “First Aid,” which said to run First Aid in Recovery. I restarted the computer in recovery mode, and still got the error saying to run First Aid in Recovery (despite being in recovery mode!).

So now I’m not entirely sure what to do. I read about a way of forcing it to run with command line, but there was a warning to have a backup first, and while I do have a backup of many of the things on this My Cloud, I don’t have all of them, which is why I’m trying to recover it at all.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into and resolved any similar problems, or if there are any tips or suggestions you can provide. Here is what I see in Disk Utility:

You can see the size of all the partitions in it, most of them quite small. All are MS-DOS exception partition #1, 2.15GB, which lists its format as “Uninitialized Linux Swap.” I was wondering if the readability issues might have something to do with this partition, and whether erasing it would be a good idea?

Any ideas on best chances for how to pull the data off would be much appreciated.

I’m guessing this is a gen2 4TB My cloud. You need to search this forum for information on
how to connect a linux formated disk to a mac. Your data is on the 3.99TB partition.

Use a Linux boot CD/USB stick in the computer and boot the computer into Linux. Ubuntu is one popular distro that some here have used to access a bare My Cloud hard drive.

Yes, it’s a second generation My Cloud. As you suggested, I searched the forum for information on how to connect a Linux formatted disk to a Mac but for whatever reason I wasn’t able to find much of use (maybe using bad search terms, I tried several things and didn’t have much luck). I googled more generally and found out about FUSE, Paragon, etc., but FUSE didn’t work and I don’t want to spend $40 to find out the same of Paragon. I was using FUSE with EXT4, but ran into problems with mounting, getting the error “Permission denied,” even after making sure I was operator group. Let me know if you have any other ideas or other ways to get at that 3.99 partition without needing to mess with the Linux formatting.

Thank you for the tip–just started downloading Ubuntu when I saw this and fingers crossed I’ll be able to access my files once it’s all installed and booted up. :slight_smile:

Edited: Got Ubuntu onto a USB drive and it worked–all the data on there is unharmed and recoverable, what a relief. Thanks again!