Trying to get my head around MyCloud

Can anyone thow some light on these questions as Im on a learning curve to understand how this MyCloud all works.

Worse still Im a novice on the Mac so wrestling with the Yosemite OS X as well.  I have been 30 years a PC user.

Re The MyCloud 

This a NAS drive so to manage it you must use its own software Dashboard. Yes/No?

What is the OS software on the Mycloud hardware Linux, Unix?  (Is this different to the MAC OSX so security permissions control may be different) 

The Smartware share folder is only for PC users?  Yes / No

What is the Public folder? Does it let anyone acess it? Is it open as its name implies?

Why is TimeMachine share folder set to public access?  

Thanks

All help appreciated.  

This a NAS drive so to manage it you must use its own software Dashboard. Yes/No?

… or the Web UI.

What is the OS software on the Mycloud hardware Linux, Unix?

Linux

The Smartware share folder is only for PC users?  Yes / No

No.

What is the Public folder? Does it let anyone acess it? Is it open as its name implies?

It’s open to anyone on your network or to whom you grant mobile access…  

Why is TimeMachine share folder set to public access?  

I don’t know about that one…  Never used Time Machine.

>>>This a NAS drive so to manage it you must use its own software Dashboard. Yes/No?

Accessing the dashboard is using the My Cloud web interface to Manage. I suspect that one can manage MC by soley using ssh; IMO not worth the trouble.

>>>The Smartware share folder is only for PC users?  Yes / No

I’m not entirely certain, but this is designated for PC backups using Smartware. One can probably accees the contents using other OSes

As far as I know, the time machine share is set to public for ease of setup, however you should be able to set it up as private and assign an user to it.

Thanks again Tony.

Based on your response about the public folder open to anyone on my network, i guess Time Machine needs to be able to place its data anywhere the user chooses on their own network.

I have no issues with leaving things public on my home Network as long as I can be sure Ive closed the gate at the router.

So now need to see how my devices are uniquely identified through the router, is it IP address and mac code?