Trying to access my cloud on college network

Hello,

iam trying to access my cloud device on my college network but it seems iam unable to connect. I do have everything setup on my home network correctly. I did port forward port 80 and port 443 to the IP address of my cloud and it does say on the dashboard that the connection is established for port forwarding. I can access the device outside the network on both my laptop and my nexus 7 tablet which is a android tablet. I did try talking to the IT department but I got no where with them at all.  iam not sure if its something on my home network or the colleges network that’s blocking the connection for some reason. The college has free wireless and open computer labs that the students can use to work on and print things. I have tried accessing the device using the wd2go website but I get an certificate error which could be the java issue with update 51. I did try using a proxy for the heck of it and just see if I could make a connection and I was able to but it was very slow.  If I could get access it from the college than the only thing I would be accessing is files for school and  transferring small files.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

hi Xerax,

Are you on the latest firmware update (3.03.02).  We have released an update today.

Thanks,

Brandon

yes i did update to the latest firmware today on my device,  i did look at the changelog that the firmware fixed and i did see something about it fixing mobile remote access, does that fix devices such as laptops or PC’s trying to access a WD my cloud on another network such as a work or school network?

Xerax wrote:

yes i did update to the latest firmware today on my device,  i did look at the changelog that the firmware fixed and i did see something about it fixing mobile remote access, does that fix devices such as laptops or PC’s trying to access a WD my cloud on another network such as a work or school network?

See if this gets you anywhere:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshooting-Remote-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/617261#M1130

Not sure if I understand your issue correctly, but you can access the My Cloud (on college network) outside of the network (i.e. when you are at home), but cant access it while you’re on the same network?

Xerax wrote:

Hi Xerax,

Yes this update could resolve your issue, but you also could have a different problem.  If you cannot get a relay connection, there may be things blocked on your network… you also could be behind a proxy.

i am able to access it while at home, i think it must be the firewall at my college blocking the connection or something.

i have tried testing a connection to my device outside my network and i was able to connect with no problems. my only question is if iam at a friends house and they have wifi setup but if its a guest network, would i still be able to connect to my device from their network? the reason i asked this because i tried setting up a guest network on my home network and while i was connected to the guest network i was unable to connect to my device from my laptop and my tablet.