Trouble Moving Files/Folders Within A Share

Trouble with simple moving of file/folders  within the same share on My Cloud,  Windows Explorer is giving errors even though the operation actually succeeds. To reproduce:

• Open a My Cloud share in Windows Explorer (the plain old window you use to show files in Windows). I get the same results opening it as UNC (\mycloud\docs) or mapping it to a drive.
  • drag file(s) and/or folder  into a subfolder or any other folder on the share.
  • In Windows 8: message "An unexpected error is keeping you from moving the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error: 0x8007003B: an unexpected network error occurred. 
  • In Windows 7: message  "There is a problem accessing \mycloud\docs. Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.
  • Buttons: Try Again, Skip, Cancel
  • If I click “Skip” it looks like nothing has happened in the Explorer window.
  • BUT, when I press F5 (refresh) Windows Explorer shows that the files were successfully moved.
  • BTW, I was able to copy the files from my PCs over the network to the My Cloud with no errors.

I have the latest firmware (v03.01.04-139). I see some posts here that are similar, but not quite this straightforward. To state the obvious, I’ve tried it on multiple machines with multiple operating systems with the same results.

Any ideas? I really want to like this drive!

Are these shares setup with passwords. 

Hi Rich, thanks for your reply. I have “Public Access” switch on for the share. I also have a blank password for my user.

Interesting, your question prompted me to try moving files on the factory created “Public” share. And in my tests so far I CAN move files and folders around, no error message! Hmm. 

Also, opening the factory created \mycloud\public does not prompt me for a password. Opening \mycloud\media, a share I created which has the identical share attributes in the My Cloud admin, still prompts me for a user/password and won’t accept both fields blank. I can enter my user name with a blank password & it will open.

Perhaps this has to do with the blank password or authentication cached on the Windows machines. I’ll set a password & reboot all of the hardware. This is starting to smell like a My Cloud bug though.

Wow. Under the only user account, I turned on the “Password” switch and set a password. 

This solved both problems. No more error messages when moving files, no prompting for user/password when trying to access a public share.

Crazy. Hope this tread saves someone else some time.

Even though I agree that WD could explain a bit more I think you would be better off just looking for public in the manual. This gives more information about ‘public’ and private. Public equals anybody who has access to your NAS, bearing in mind that you have control over that ‘public’ access. This is the same as your bedroom being private but your living room, kitchen etc being public. The ‘public’ who enter these areas are still controlled by you allowing them to or not.

In short nobody can access the MyCloud unless you allow them however once they are given access they can all see the ‘public’ shares.

Thanks again for the reply Rich. 

Speaking to the point of the thread, this is clearly a bug, no? You asked if I had a password, do you have any more info on the cause of the problem that led you to ask?  Is this a known problem? Maybe someone from WD could chime in. It seems like a great product, they should investigate this bug and clean up some issues in the manual.

WD, some feedback on the users manual:

• searching “public” in the manual gives a lot more information but it’s muddled.
  • the feature is exclusively called “Public Access” in the UI. It should be referred to that in the manual when it discusses the functionality of that feature (not just identifying the switch in the settings).
  • use of the word “public” in the manual is a mess. " THE  Public Share", " A  public share," “public cloud accounts,” “public clouds,” “public folder,” “public and private shares” (the UI never uses the term “private”). “Public Access,” the term used in the UI, isn’t even in the index. 
  • given that, the manual is in desperate need of a “Defined Terms” appendix and those terms should be used intentionally and consistently throughout.
  • for the technically inclined it would only take a ~2 page appendix to describe security and functionality of the device.
  • I don’t see where My Cloud provides a read-only public share. This would be a good idea if only as basic precaution against viruses on these shares without passwords.

Referring to your statement ’ Using the term “public” at all just seems bizzare.’

The term public folder is a defined way of sharing files with all the users of your network. Google public folders.

Microsoft Skydrive has a public folder.

All WD NAS have a public folder.

Microsoft operating systems have public folders.

Dropbox used to have a public folder.

I do understand your point, but I am just another user so I don’t really want to get into long discussions over the meaning of words particularly when its an accepted definition.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/public-folders-faq

I was actually more interested in an answer to the technical side if you have any more information on that. Did you ask about the password because you’d seen this before or ?

You’re totally right, I apologize for the rant about “public.”  At least we agree the documentation could use some improvement. I’m going to edit the post down so that it doesn’t detract from the technical answer in case someone else has the same trouble I did with the error messages.

Thanks again, if you hadn’t mentioned the password it would have taken a lot longer to try it.

No I had not seen it before. I only asked the question for more information and to get the ball rolling on a possible solution. 

The epilogue on this problem is that my unit has serious problems. Various security errors, asking for a user/password even on \wdmycloud. Incrementally the web UI got unbearably slow. It started disappearing from my network after a few hours, light on front solid blue but gone from the router’s DHCP client list, no answer to ping. Does the same plugged directly into a computer (an auto detect uplink port on the unit is pretty nice). When it crashes it doesn’t even respond to the “paper clip” reset button on the back. 

Now it’s sitting on my desk, all connected but the front LED is off.  If I power cycle it will work for a few hours & then go dark again. No diagnotic messages from the drive. Restored to factory settings. I’ve tried everything I can think of.

I see so many positive reviews for this drive that I’m going to exchange it & cross my fingers.

Epilogue 2: exchanged for a new drive, it works perfectly (knock on wood).

This started with such a weird symptom and the drive steadily degraded from there. Eventually it got through 80% of a factory reset & never came back.

Nope, new drive has problems too, taking back the second drive and not looking back. The known issue of the My Cloud disappearing from the network after being idle a few hours is a deal breaker (how could it not be?). This is covered in other threads & no firmware fix available.

The problem of getting error messages when moving files is also covered in other threads.

Either way it’s a permission issue. Verify with ssh

I think this reply wmay have been intended for the orginal thread. Anyway, the firmware is broken if permissions can get screwed up by simply copying files to the drive and then moving them around.

Actually the permissions are not getting screwed up when moving the files. The permissions are already screwed up for the original file that you are trying to copy/move.

How was that file/folder created to begin with?

Did you create that file in windows for e.g

Do a test.I assume you have mapped the drive as a network drive in windows?

From within windows or mac ne or whatver, create a new file/folder. Now try to move that folder. You will see that you dont get the error message.

LOL, ok so it’s only a problem if you’re the odd person that copies files to your 3TB NAS. If all you do is create files and folders on the NAS, you won’t get strange error messages. YES, of course, these files were copied from a Windows machine where they worked fine.

I don’t think you’re reading the threads. Move a file where the permissions are screwed up. It gives an error message and it doesn’t look like it moved. But IT DID actually move the file file/folder, which you have to refresh the window to see.

So did the My Cloud mess up the permissions when the files were copied to the drive?  Or, is it screwing them up when the user doesn’t have permission to move the files/folders and it is ignoring those permissions and moving them anyway?  Is there not a simple SMB protocol response of “Access Denied?”

It’s broken.  If you disagree, don’t defend the problem, help the guy in the other thread solve his problem with something more useful than “use ssh to verify.”  My drive is in the backroom of a Staples waiting to be refurbished.

I have the exactly the same problem with my newly purchased WD my cloud 4TB NAS.

I can create folders from Windows Vista/8 on the /public share, but copy a file, sometimes it worked, but sometimes it prompted me this 0x800700 whatever error.

Is this issue resolved so far?

It looks like My Cloud has trouble ingesting a large number of files, maybe because of the content scanning thing. That can bring the whole thing to a halt or you can see intermittent copying errors. Let it digest your upload for 24h and you might see everything going back to normal.