Trouble accessing Win7 shares with my WDTV

I’ll try to help, but since I don’t know how “new” you are at this, excuse me if I get too elementary for you.

>>>>   I don’t want to give the WDTV my name and password for the whole machine,

You won’t, because you share only the folders you want shared/seen.  It is not good practice to set up a windows share for a whole computer HD  (e.g. C: )  My PC has certain folders on C drive shared by Windows that have media in them, videos, music, photos, then three drives on the PC that have media only in them, and then I do share the entire drive/or main folder on drive.  In no case do I (or anyone) see a Documents folder on C: or anything else not shared.  And, if it was shared, only media files in it would appear to WDTV and not the whole enchilada.

>>>>   The WDTV can log in now, and sees the “User” folder that Win7 created for the new user, but it cannot see the shared “Video” folder, which it should have access to.

Well, it seems it should see the shared folder if you go into the WD menu via Video/Network shares/ to PC/ and shared folder on that PC called Videos, and then into any subfolders in the main shared Videos folder.

If this is what you are doing, and don’t see what you are looking for, then perhaps Windows and/or WDTV will not let you share (or access) this way.

As for how I do this, I do not use usernames and passwords on WDTV to access my shares.  I have no reason to, because the only folders accessible to WDTV are the shared media folders I set up so we all can easily access any of our music, videos and photos I shared via Windows

A while back, I wrote up a tip of how to configure sharing on WDTV to use, or not use, usernames and passwords.  See the first post at this link:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/td-p/671513

Even if you want to use passwords, try what you are wanting to do by using no passwords at first to see what happens at the WDTV.