Troll bait... Hope not

Hi I looked and found no simple answer so perhaps WD people can help… if not it is time to take it back for a refund.

I’ve just updated the firmware on our My Cloud 3T. The system is now asking me for my password (via  http://192.168.1.19/UI/)) which I did not change…but is not recognised any longer.

How can you recover the password. Interesting as the NAS notifier sent me an email telling me I had upgraded the firmware… but won’t let me in to look.

This all came about because while I could see the drive on a Mac it would not let me write to the drive. It is now asking for the network drive password… which was never set to my understanding.

We are just trying to set up a cloud file server… for sharing files… it shouldn’t  be this complicated…

So…

1. How do I recover the password for the drive?

2. How do I set/reset the network drive password?

Thx,

Troll… I have some really nasty old fish if you like them… trade you for some help…

Variable results with the firmware update, so you may be having problems as a result.

A paperclip in the reset hole of your WDMC for 10 seconds will clear all existing passwords, so you can reset them and start again.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Do you paperclip it while on… or power off and then back on with paperclip in place?

Ok this helps with an answer for how to reset the passwords on a WD My Cloud.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432/~/how-to-reset-a-wd-my-cloud,-mirror,-ex2,-or-ex4-personal-cloud-drive

Notice you can do it with out losing data. That helps!

Reply to: Future-Travel,

You said, It is now asking for the network drive password… which was never set to my understanding.

When you setup your home network and router you never gave it a user name and password and made it a secure network?

I have a Linksys router and it is secured and has a user name and password. I also have one setup for guest. This prevents my neighbors and others from using my internet connection.

When the below pop up appears on my laptop, my home network user name and password are what I enter to connect to My Cloud.

WDmycloudsignin.jpg

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

In My case I have a network that is behind a NAT so supposed to be invisable from outside the network. My cloud is sitting on NAT’d router/switch so no password required inside the network.

By turning off the password for my login it works for me as a a file server. Not sure if it secure to the world…

Internet>>>>>>Modem>>>>Network-NAT-Router>>>>>>Router>>>>My Cloud

To get into the modem you need a pasword … but we have shut down external access the modem… it can only be accessed by a direct cable. 

Think I am ok… can people hack my cloud? I must log on to the WD site to access my cloud…

I had to leave the password setting as ‘off’ to be able ot read write to the folders, which are limited by permissions - eg not open to the public.

Future-Travel wrote:

I had to leave the password setting as ‘off’ to be able ot read write to the folders, which are limited by permissions - eg not open to the public.

From what I gather from your posts, it seems like you are running into a normal Windows limitation that only allows you to authenticate only one time to a server.  There is a technet article that explains similar issues that other Windows users have faced.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f3ee2c61-a5c7-48b3-a3bf-23ea323da699/connecting-to-multiple-shares-on-a-single-server-with-multiple-credentials-system-error-1219-?forum=itprovistanetworking

Not sure this is the solution… looks more like the windows problem.

We are testing against the no password options on the local network. If that works out ok then we will try adding passwords to the drive. If the problem returns… they you may have found the problem… but WD still needs to have a solution. We have no problems in other ‘Cloud’ based sharing of files. Not sure why they would put out a device with this type of gymnastics required to share a file/drive.

Future-Travel wrote:

Not sure this is the solution… looks more like the windows problem.

We are testing against the no password options on the local network. If that works out ok then we will try adding passwords to the drive. If the problem returns… they you may have found the problem… but WD still needs to have a solution. We have no problems in other ‘Cloud’ based sharing of files. Not sure why they would put out a device with this type of gymnastics required to share a file/drive.

It’s a windows limitation, not a WD limitation.   Wndows does not let you use more than one set of credentials when accessing any NAS.

And “Guest” access is considered one set, so if you connect to a public share first with Guest credentials, you will not be able to connect to a private one.