Trapped in login

Trying to find media attached to an XP computer, I selected the computer. which has no password.  I tried to log in.  I cannot log in.  I created a new user to make it easier.  wd password wd.  I cannot log in.  I cannot find any way to escape from the login. Very frustrating to put it mildly…

What do you mean “escape the login?”

What error messages are you receiving?

If I hit Home I can get out, but if I select video even after powering off, I am immediately back on the login screen. I can find no way to back up to where I choose the PC to log into.  It does not matter much because I have no idea how to log in anyway.   Since I set up a user id which is easy to enter, and it still does not work.  The XP machine has the files I want. I do have a windows 7 machine, so I could try to log into it, but I cannot get to the place where I would choose it.

When you try to log in, you have to quess that you should move to the check mark and hit OK. Strange but not a big problem if it worked. It fails and says try again. You cannot back up to the point before the login.

What is it expecting for the login and password?  

" I can find no way to back up to where I choose the PC to log into. "

Did you try the BACK button?

It will take you back to the screen where you can choose the content source again.

“you have to quess that you should move to the check mark and hit OK”

Why guess?   It’s explained on Page 29 of the manual:

Press [right arrow] to select OK, then press OK. Supported content for the selected media type displays.

I tihnk I may konw what you are stuck with. 

Is the WD TV Live asking you for the password to login to the network share?

If so, it means that the permissions for your network are set up incorrectly. Have a look at this site for a quick tutorial -  http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-119257-how-to-disable-username-password-network-pc

I’ve also been told about an application that is supposed to be able to help you manage network shares easily. You can find it at the following link.

http://nl.xtreamer.net/downloads/community-projects/windows-share-manager.aspx

Is this what you mean?