Transferring files My Cloud ---> My Book Live Duo

Hello,

I have a My Cloud and a My Book Live Duo, both connected to my network. I am trying to transfer files from one to the other. Doing this over the network is crazy slow, and when I do large files, sometimes the network drops and I get errors. It’s a hassle. I connected the My Cloud via ethernet cable to my computer and the My Book via an ethernet USB adapter, but I am getting a “not found” error when I do that. I assume having them both connected somehow to my computer would make this process quicker…
anyone out there with help / suggestions?
thank you

The faster way would be to SSH into the My Cloud and copy files directly to the My Book. Your current setup copies the file from the My Cloud to the PC and then to the My Book. So it is really a double transfer.

RAC

[quote=“ajayb007, post:1, topic:155957, full:true”]
I connected the My Cloud via ethernet cable to my computer and the My Book via an ethernet USB adapter, but I am getting a “not found” error when I do that.[/quote]
If one connects the My Cloud direct to their computer via an Ethernet cable they need to ensure both the My Cloud and the computer’s networking port are both using an IP address in the same subnet (example 192.168.1.x). Often when one doesn’t set a static IP the device (My Cloud and or local networking port) will typically default to an IP address in the 169.254.7.x subnet range.

Slow copying from a My Cloud to a USB device connected to the My Cloud is a known issue. One can search this subforum for those other threads. The main cause is that when initiating the copy from a computer the data may flow from the My Cloud, through the computer, back to the My Cloud, then to the USB drive. It gets even slower if one is performing the file move with a WiFi connected computer.

As the previous person pointed out the better way, when the USB hard drive is connected to the My Cloud, is to log in to the My Cloud using SSH and initiate the copy (using Rsync for example). Or use the WD My Cloud Desktop software for Windows/Mac, or the WD mobile apps for iOS/Android to move/copy files between the My Cloud and attached USB hard drive.

Would someone be able to provide step / step instructions on how to do this? Or point me to a guide? thank you

SSH may be a bit more for advanced users. If you have the newer mycloud (gen2) with the white web ui, then you can go to Apps > File Viewer > and transfer your files from there. Other workaround is logging into the unit via mycloud.com and transferring files through there