Transferring bulk folders/files via USB drive to My Cloud

Hi, I was wondering if you can transfer files from one drive via USB to My Cloud. Currently I have a 2Tb external connected to the My Cloud and I’m trying to transfer the entire drive to My Cloud and it’s giving me a notice of 11 hours of transfer time. I’m assuming this is happening because I’m transferring the data through my mounted drives on my desktop and instead going through USB it’s running through my local network. What can I do to speed this up?

Simple math, and to make it more simple

2TB=2.000GB=2.000.000MB

12hours=43200 seconds

2.000.000 / 43200 seconds = 46,2962962962963 MB/seconds

OF course You can make it faster, buy SSD, 10gbit network (cables, ethernet, router), buy a 10gbit NAS (my cloud is not one of them).

And be happy that you spent the price of a car to make it faster.

You cannot directly transfer your files to the mycloud by USB.

You could attach your external drive to your desktop and then transfer the mycloud. It will still take some time but its half the time.

You could also connect directly to the mycloud via Ethernet from your desktop with the external drive connected to the desktop.

BullZeye wrote:

Simple math, and to make it more simple

2TB=2.000GB=2.000.000MB

12hours=43200 seconds

2.000.000 / 43200 seconds = 46,2962962962963 MB/seconds

OF course You can make it faster, buy SSD, 10gbit network (cables, ethernet, router), buy a 10gbit NAS (my cloud is not one of them).

And be happy that you spent the price of a car to make it faster.

I think you mean 46.296…

If you want to transfer files from external drive to MyCloud in efficient way, then attach external drive to MyCloud USB port. Then enable SSH on the MyCloud. Then use WinSCP to SSH into the MyCloud and find the DataVolume where the external drive is located, and use the MoveTo functon to move all the data to the part of the DataVolume that is directly on the MyCloud.

You can also use PuTty if you know the Linux commands. 

This method keeps the data from traveling to the router, to your PC, back to the router, and back to the MyCloud.  It moves the data directly from external to MyCloud

All that being said, the choke point in terms of speed will be the drive speeds, the USB speed,  and processor speeds. 

No, I think 46,296MB/s

We live in different countries, different rules.

wdlive76, thanks for your help! I’m on a mac and my primary FTP application is Fetch which I believe works the same as WinSCP. I’ve enabled SSH and FTP access but what hostname should I be using to connect?

i think it is user = root and pwrd is welc0me  

that is the default on teh MBL and the MBWE, so i am guessing it is the same wth the MyCloud.

The hostname is the IP address of your MyCloud.  Probably something like 192.168.1.11 or something similar.

Since you are using a MAc, you can us Terminal and then do it all from the command line.