Transfering data from one external hd to another but won't open in pc

I have a 1.5 tb WD external desktop hd that is nearly full that will not open in my pc any more.

For some reason it’s getting hung up.

It shows up in the computer menu with a drive letter but has no other info, like file size or free space remaining…in disk management, it gets hung up on connecting to virtual disk forever.

I’ve tried it on another pc running Windows XP (i’m running 7) and the same thing happens, but fortunately WD hd opens up on my friends mac book.

My question is how do I transfer all the data from the WD hd to the new Seagate external hd I just bought from a mac book?

Both external hd’s are pc preformatted(I did nothing), but surprisingly, the WD hd works on the mac book.

I’m not sure if my friend’s mac book has some driver that allows it to open the WD hd or if it already was pc and mac compatible.

Can i create separate partitions on my Seagate hd to make it compatible with both mac and pc?

Since the WD hd doesn’t open on my pc, I have to do this from my friend’s mac book.j

If they are PC formatted NTFS, they will be read only on the MAC. Now in order for you to transfer the files, you will need to format the drive on FAT 32 to make it compatible with both computers windows and MAC.

How did you copy the files to the original drive? If it was copy and paste, you should be able to do the same to move the files to the other drive.

I downloaded most of the files directly to my external WD hd through the web.

My friend who has the mac book tried to copy all the files to the new Seagate external hd, but it would not do it, and I was afraid to format the Seagate hd which came with ntfs format for pc.

I’m not sure about the ntfs format for the WD Elements Desktop external hd, but I can open and play the files on the mac book without a problem.

Seagate tech support told me I shouldn’t use fat32 because it’s an outdated format and can’t hold files bigger than 4 gb, and  I have numerous files which exceed this size.

A drive formatted NTFS is read only on a Mac without additional software. See post 6 in this thread http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/unwritable-drive/td-p/435872

Joe