Transfer Speeds

I just purchased a my passport wireless 1TB drive. I installed the newest firmware. I attached the drive to my laptop via USB. I also have a My Book Live network drive attached to my router (Netgear R6300). I transferred about 250gb of video files from the My Book Live network drive to the Passport drive (connected to my laptop) and it took roughly 9 hours at about 10mbs +/-. Is this normal? I was expecting alot faster speeds based on reviews I’ve read on this drive. If I’m getting that slow of a transfer rate, can streaming be any worse?

Any help is appreciated.

Can’t offer you any solutions but to give you an idea of my experience with the same My Passport Wireless 1TB drive… I’ve had it a few days only, updated the firmware straight away, this morning transferred 190gb of data (160gb of MP3 files and 30gb of music videos). Transfer was from a 512gb WD portable drive to the MPW through USB, mine is an older MacBook too so USB speed is only v2.0 - it took 2 1/2 hours to complete the transfer.

regdawg wrote:

I just purchased a my passport wireless 1TB drive. I installed the newest firmware. I attached the drive to my laptop via USB. I also have a My Book Live network drive attached to my router (Netgear R6300). I transferred about 250gb of video files from the My Book Live network drive to the Passport drive (connected to my laptop) and it took roughly 9 hours at about 10mbs +/-. Is this normal? I was expecting alot faster speeds based on reviews I’ve read on this drive. If I’m getting that slow of a transfer rate, can streaming be any worse?

Any help is appreciated.

Frst, either your units or math are wrong.   At 250GB of data over 9 hours, that equates to about 8 MB/sec (megabytes per second), not 10 mb/sec (10 megabits per second).  The former is 6 times faster than the latter.

You’ve got a lot of variables here.  The “Source” was a network drive.   Were you using WiFi to access the data?  If so, 8MB/sec isn’t out of the ordinary.

Were you using a USB3 port on your laptop?

The transfer speeds to the drive when using USB3 on my Win7 desktop can range about 40-50 MB/second depending on the file sizes.

With your scenario it sounds like both your drives were hooked up via USB. Hard to gauge if we have issues or this is just normal. I just expected better based on reviews I’ve read and the specs. I have yet to try any streaming to my TV’s or my mobile devices so I’ll give that a shot and see how that goes. 

I provided a rough estimate on the speed because as I was watching the progress, it fluctuated between 5-10mbs. Yes I was using WIFI to access the data to my laptop. 

regdawg wrote:

With your scenario it sounds like both your drives were hooked up via USB. Hard to gauge if we have issues or this is just normal. I just expected better based on reviews I’ve read and the specs. I have yet to try any streaming to my TV’s or my mobile devices so I’ll give that a shot and see how that goes. 

It makes no difference whether BOTH drives are hooked up via USB or only the MPW…  the MPW is the only device in question, and both of us had it USB-attached.

The fastest way to transfer files to kust about any device is from computer to device via USB, and if any are USB 2 it will not be nearly as fast as USB 3 to USB 3.  If using a network (especially if not gigabit thru and thr it will be much slower, and if there is a USB 2 in the mix, or wireless; even slower.  Your speeds sounded in range for what you were doing.

When I can I transfer the first way – the fastest way.