Transfer Files From PC to HUB thru USB 2.0?

Hi,

I just received the HUB today and noticed that you cannot transfer files directly from your pc thru the USB. I have the WD LIVE HUB connected by wire to my Linksys E3000 (gigabit+802.11N) but cannot make use of the gigabit due to the fact that i don’t have a gigabit nic on my laptop. Wirelessly im getting 5MB/sec thru walls and 11MB/sec directly infront of the router. 10MB/sec thru a wired connected to the router making use of my 10/100 nic.  Both wired and wireless is just too slow compared to when i transfer thru USB to my iomega storage drive.  Been reading the manual and searching thru the forums and nothing on direct USB transfers from PC. Only some info on USB drives sycing with the HUB. 

Can someone confirm that it is not possible to transfer from your pc to the HUB thru USB 2.0? I would try it myself but as of rite now i don’t have a USB cable to do so (planning to get one in a few days).

Thanks in advance!!

That’s right. You can’t do that.

That will really s*ck due to the slow transfer speed.  I had to wait 45 mins to transfer a 13gig mkv file last night thru wireless N. I dont know why WD wont make files transferable thru usb. Usb are much more widely used than wireless to transfer files due to the speed issues. Guess i will have to buy a gigabit expresscard to take advantage of the gigabit connection. Not to mention I will have to run wires too. Who knows…I might spend even more $$$ to go the powerline route!! Otherwise im luvin the WD TV LIVE HUB. 

Thank you for the reply.

Transfer speed seems slow to the WD TV Live Hub via USB 2.0 and Network.

This is the transfer speed I am seeing when transferring files to the hub.

-  Computer (10/100/1000) on Gigabit Network (Router / Switch) to WD TV Live Hub ~ 11 Mb/s

-  USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (Sata II) to WD TV Live Plus ~ 5 Mb/s

esata would be much beter for file transfer (~ 100 Mb/s for Sata II Hard Drives) to the hub or the new USB 3.0 port.

I may try with my wireless N adapter but do not expect beter results than my wired gigabit network.

Smiley,

I think you are right about the HUB having a slow transfer speed.  I am able to transfer from USB 2.0 on my laptop to my IOMEGA Screenplay at about 28MB/s but when i sync the IOMEGA and HUB after, i am only getting 16MB/s.

Here are the speed im getting transfering a 13gig mkv file with the HUB connected to my N router thru wire…

From IOMEGA Screenplay syncing to HUB thru USB 2.0 = 16MB/s

From wireless laptop  (802.11N) upstairs to router (802.11N) downstairs = 5MB/s

From wireless laptop directly infront of the router = 11MB/s

USB 3.0 is not an option on my laptop and i don’t think the HUB has 3.0 either. eSata will definitely be faster but that would require another drive, cable and expresscard for my laptop. Haven’t have a chance to try out the gigabit connection yet but as soon as my gigabit expresscard arrives from Amazon i will give that a try. So far all ways of transfering files from my laptop to the HUB is painstakingly slow!!

Anyone out there have a method of transfering files to the HUB at faster speed than what i am seeing??

roundeye wrote:

Smiley,

I think you are right about the HUB having a slow transfer speed.  I am able to transfer from USB 2.0 on my laptop to my IOMEGA Screenplay at about 28MB/s but when i sync the IOMEGA and HUB after, i am only getting 16MB/s.

Here are the speed im getting transfering a 13gig mkv file with the HUB connected to my N router thru wire…

From IOMEGA Screenplay syncing to HUB thru USB 2.0 = 16MB/s

From wireless laptop  (802.11N) upstairs to router (802.11N) downstairs = 5MB/s

From wireless laptop directly infront of the router = 11MB/s

USB 3.0 is not an option on my laptop and i don’t think the HUB has 3.0 either. eSata will definitely be faster but that would require another drive, cable and expresscard for my laptop. Haven’t have a chance to try out the gigabit connection yet but as soon as my gigabit expresscard arrives from Amazon i will give that a try. So far all ways of transfering files from my laptop to the HUB is painstakingly slow!!

Anyone out there have a method of transfering files to the HUB at faster speed than what i am seeing??

See the review here - for limitations.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review/4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review/7

It takes 30 minutes for me to transfer a 4.5GB ISO file to my Iomega drive attached to the WD Live Plus which is wired to the Linksys router.  I tried transfering the same ISO file from the Iomega to a portable WD Elements drive connected to the second USB port on the WD Live and it took the same amount of time.  You are getting much better transfer speed than me.  I can watch an ISO file saved in my Dell or a Divx file on a flash drive connected to my Dell but am unable to view any VOB files because they stutter.  They do play on any drive connected directly to the USB ports on the WD Live.  It sounds like my WD Live is defective. 

Don´t know why a lot of you guys get into trouble with the transfer speed. My transfer speed for media files from  QNAP 239 Pro NAS to WDTV live hub is about 15 MB/s. in average. @ nightowl4 for me transfer time in maximum for 4.5 GB is between 5-6 minutes. So in my opinion the problem in between is not the WDTV live hub. It is the “rubbish” hardware between. E.g bad cable ? not really compatible and cheap NAS or external hardrive. Nevertheless all of you are right that the transfer speeds overall are to small for a real gigabit connect.

so gigabit lan is broken, despite being touted as a feature?  And you cannot transfer files over USB 2 to the HUB’s internal hard drive?  Really think they ought to rectify at least one of those situations ASAP.

@ whateves : Yes and No.

The real gigabit conection might be a marketing gag. But for me transfer speeds overall are ok. As mentioned before 15 MB/s.

You are not able to transfer data via direct USB to PC connection, but you are able to transfer data via a external hard drive connected to the hub on USB and e.g.  the hub´s syncronize function…