Transcoding temp folder for Plex

I’m finding issues with Plex on 4k HDR movies. Each one I try to play returns de error sayin it cannot play the item.

After research on the internet I’ve seen it could be a space issue in the temp folder used by plex for the transcoding hence willing to specify one.

The problem I have is that inside web based Plex configuration, you can specify a folder by typing it but doesn’t show the hierarchy of folders and as I’m not to technical on Linux… don’t know what path to use.

Grateful if you could please comment on which temp forder I should be specifying with full path or a way for me to check the existing ones.

Thanks in advance!

Are you trying to play the file wirelessly?

Nope! not wirelessly. I’ve tested it from two computers and the NAS all wired with cable and negotiating at 1000Mbps

Per what I see in different forums it could be a matter of the transcoding folder not having enough space, don’t know where it is located as default on the PR4100 Plex installation. Possibly where the app is located? If I could only see the internal hierarchy of folders to be able to point it to another drive/share then that may fix the issue as for some other folks.

Please note we are talking about MKVs ranging 40-70GB so at least that space +100MB is needed for transcoding.

I would test a much smaller file to make sure that it isn’t the drive or Plex. Cause it really could be the massive size of the MKV. I would also make sure that your file codecs are supported by Plex as well.

Edit: I replied to this 5 year old thread because it said may 17 which happened to be the date today… oops.

I’ve had the same issues in the past - I even upgraded to 16gb of ram and still no luck.

If you would like to try it anyway - here is what you’ve got to do.

First, you have to enable SSH… You do that from the Settings → Network → Network Services section from the NAS web gui. (Set a good password). You can then connect to it through SSH. If you’re on Windows, I recommend putty. If you’re on Linux or Mac, just open up a terminal and type: ssh sshd@[ip address to nas]

You need to create a mount point (an empty directory), in this example /ramdisk
mkdir /ramdisk

then to mount 6G of RAM onto that mount point:
mount -t tmpfs -o size=6G tmpfs /ramdisk

Note is not a permanent mount - it will be deleted on reboot but it should help you test out your theory.

Credit for this info goes to @NuVista175 who provided this info in a different thread.