Tranfser Speeds 100mb and 1GB ethernet

Hi,
I have a 4TB personal cloud sitting on my desk here. I bought a 100mb switch to plug it in to and that works fine.

I tested a 1GB switch from the office using the desktop app. The utilisation on the 1GB switch barely passed 15% and there were constant stoppages by the desktop app in the transfer. So I decided not to buy myself a 1GB switch.

But today I tested ftp and on the 100mb switch the ftp program drives the ethernet card at 100%.

So I was wondering if someone could tell me if ftp would drive a 1GB switch at 100% across the connection.

I ask because I bought the drive specifically to back up virtual machines that are about 100GB each.

I went to the store to buy a USB connected drive but the cloud idea caught my imagination and the speed of backups is really not much of a deal, right?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

On a wired gigabit Ethernet you should get about 80 megabytes per sec to the NAS.

Ok. I will test the 1GB switch again and see how it goes.

Thanks

Peter

Etupes wrote:

On a wired gigabit Ethernet you should get about 80 megabytes per sec to the NAS.

I am on a wired gigabit Ethernet LAN (netgear 4300 router) with windiws 7 Ultimate and a 4TB My cloud however 80 megabytes per second to the MyCloud has never happend.

What is your configuration please.

Wagebot wrote:

Etupes wrote:

I am on a wired gigabit Ethernet LAN (netgear 4300 router) with windiws 7 Ultimate and a 4TB My cloud however 80 megabytes per second to the MyCloud has never happend.

What is your configuration please.

I have exactly your setup except Netgear 3700v4 and on a long file 1Gig+ it hits 80+, it goes down to 77 but stays mostly at 80 MBs.

Small files, as usual, MBs takes a hit and goes down to 50-50 MBs. Then you have the type of files etc…

So it is happeneing. CPU speed, HDD speed also play a part,.

I have Sata 3 running Windows, and icore 5.

filetest.png 

this is copied to directory with media serving disabled.

and writing to mycloud

onetest2.png

NOTE: If you are on Windows 7 and experiencing slow transfer/or it keeps saying “preparing” to mycloud try disabling “Remote Differential compression”.

I think you need a switch that will match speed of your ethernet (1Gbps) - if you have a switch that supports transfers of up to 100Mbps (as you do), your connection will be only as fast as the switch is. So if I were you, I’d get a (faster) switch that can handle data speeds up to 1Gbps.

My transfer speeds on 1Gb lan are 50Mbps (small files) up to 80Mbps (large files).

Thanks guys.

Guess I am off to the store to buy a 1GB switch.

Hi Guys,
just to let you know. I bought a 1GB switch and the transfer speeds are up about 30MB/sec up and 50-60MB/second down. Nowhere near the 80 mark but still a big improvement. This is via ftp and not using the cloud software.

I will keep looking to see if there is anything else that might be slowing down transfer speeds. I am using the device to back up my VMs which are about 100GB each…some larger, some smaller. With 4TB I can keep older VMs and not worry about the space.

Thanks for the tips…I am sure I can make this go faster yet.