Tranferring backups from old to new G-Drive

I want to transfer the backup files from my old iMac onto my new one. Thought it was time to also get a new external G-Drive. Unable to transfer the backup files from my old G-Drive to my new G-Drive using Finder on my iMac. When I attempt to MOVE the backup files to the new drive, I’m asked to authenticate as the administrator but then told “The operation can’t be completed because backup items can’t be modified.” When I attempt to COPY and PASTE, I only get the second message. Under GET INFO on my new G-Drive using Finder, I’ve verified that “Everyone” has read/write privileges. I’d really prefer to have only one external for all my backups. Thanks for your help.

You cannot just copy your Time Machine backups. It is not set up to do that.

Apple support is where you would go for this as Time Machine is their software. They have an article for it here: Time Machine: How to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new backup drive

Rydia: Thank you so much for the insight. There were some minor differences between the procedure and my computer hardware, but it worked as advertised, although I had a couple of false starts (my fault) and it took about 46 hours to transfer everything. Thanks so much again!