Track order listing broken in Music view for FLAC and WAV files

For the past 2 updates  both Flac and Wav files now list in reverse order in the Music view.  What I mean by this is that when I first got the player, if I have a typical album with 10 tracks would list tracks in the following order in Music view:

01 Song blah blah

02 Song blah blah

03 Song blah blah…

…10 Song blah blah

Note that each file name started with the track number.  For the last 2 updates what I get is:

10 Song blah blah…

…03 Song blah blah

02 Song blah blah

01 Song blah blah

Changing the alphabetical sort order does NOT help.  All that changes is the order of the albums not the track order within an album.

This incorrect ordering is very frustrating as on many albums the track order is critical to the context of the music on that album.  There have been several threads on the subject (see below), but apparently WD didn’t act on them.  I am thus posting a new thread in hopes of raising the visibility of the problem.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/flac-albums-o​ut-of-order/m-p/193416/highlight/true

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Music-track-order-backwards/td-p/105354

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Update-Music-album-tracks-all-mixed-up/m-p/216006

Yeah, good luck with that.

:slight_smile: well if the wheel is squeeky enough…

I don’t disagree.  However, as a long-time denizen of these types of forums, I have come to believe that A> they are excellent for solving speciific problems, ie, “How do I make my DVD player region-free?” and B> they are practically worthless for effecting change at the corporate level (at this or any other corporation).  I say this even though I recognize that some corporate overseers do monitor these sites.  But, that doesn’t seem to bubble up towards decision-makers.  That channel appears to be reserved to direct contact with Technical Service or Customer Service, via phone call or email (or, God-forbid, a letter).  Hardly makes sense that’s the case, what with the proliferation of these forums and all, and the wealth of information and feedback contained therein.  But still; seems to make no difference.  YMMV.

hawkster27 wrote:

I don’t disagree.  However, as a long-time denizen of these types of forums, I have come to believe that A> they are excellent for solving speciific problems, ie, “How do I make my DVD player region-free?” and B> they are practically worthless for effecting change at the corporate level (at this or any other corporation).  I say this even though I recognize that some corporate overseers do monitor these sites.  But, that doesn’t seem to bubble up towards decision-makers.  That channel appears to be reserved to direct contact with Technical Service or Customer Service, via phone call or email (or, God-forbid, a letter).  Hardly makes sense that’s the case, what with the proliferation of these forums and all, and the wealth of information and feedback contained therein.  But still; seems to make no difference.  YMMV.

I agree; contacting WD support has more chance of the information getting back to the people that can fix the problem.

I contaced WD regarding this problem a month ago.  Here is their reply:

[Deleted]

Same issue occurs on the new WDTV Live Streaming (with latest firmware) - drives me crazy, i did not know that this is something that did work before on the Hub, so looks like they have broken it - Well Done WD. C’mon folks how hard can it be to fix this- just pass it to the right Developer…

I think I’m having a similar issue… I have several concerts in flac format. They are listed with the last song first. File examples below:

gd 85-21-85D1 01

gd 85-21-85D1 02

gd 85-21-85D1 03

gd 85-21-85D1 04

gd 85-21-85D2 01

gd 85-21-85D2 02

gd 85-21-85D2 03

gd 85-21-85D2 04
gd 85-21-85D2 05
gd 85-21-85D3 01
gd 85-21-85D3 02
gd 85-21-85D3 03
gd 85-21-85D3 04

That is the order they should play but they are listed and played starting with; gd 85-21-85D3 04.  Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,

Tac

This is a long-standing and known problem.  The only solution is to roll back your firmware to 2.05.08.  That is the last version before WD broke the FLAC sorting [WD’s Official Position is that this is Under Investigation. There have been four firmware updates in six months since, so don’t hold your breath]. The roll back is not difficult; a quick search of this site will reveal how to do it. Of course, doing so will mean other, possibly desirable, features will be unavailable.

1 Like