Total frustration with speed and connecting to this paperweight.!

Incredible that i fell for this Joke of a box!! It was good for the 1st 20 minutes when nothing was on the drive. Since then it is just getting so slow now that it freezes the windows explorer when trying to move or upload files to it. i have my cloud 3 tb. Netgear wnr2000 router connected by ethernet cable. I was able to increase speed temp by enabling the qos tab and making the my cloud a priority device but there are just too many connecting problems and windows saying i do not have permissions…ugh. I have given this thing over 5 weeks of my time and energy. I have been working on computers for 27 years now. I am not a stranger to this. But this thing is nothing more than a ROCK in my backyard. Can I get some help here please? i mean 180 dollar rock and i am not a happy customer.

How much data are you copying and how?

Your router will work but slow

you will get at top speed 12.5 MBps (Mega Bytes Per Second).

read/write to device might be slower at least the writing.

whereas 1Gigabit router will get top speed of 125 MBps.

in pratice will be lower depending on the device.

On mine I get 30-40MBps R, and 55- 60MBps W with a 1 gig router.

Not really meant to hijack the thread but I find it intersting that people act all surprised when they don’t get awesome transfer speeds over their 10/100 based network.Then complain more when their wireless network doesnt do well either.

All my computers have Gigabit NICs and my switch between them all is Gigabit too. I can transfer GBs of data without blinking. Granted, I haven’t transfered a ton of data to my MyCloud yet but I haven’t had any speed issues that I have noticed either. If I have a lot of data to transfer (I transfer around 50-60GB from time to time when I move my photo archives around) I will never do it wirelessly, if I did I would be sitting there for days to have it complete.

If you want decent transfer speeds, update your network. If you switch/router is 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) but your computers/devices are only 10/100 then… well you’re going to only the the upper limit of the 10/100 (remember that is also 100mbps (Mega Bits not Bytes, 8 bits to a byte… etc etc)

@ mak19587

I am sure you are not using  wireless. It is pointless for moving/copying large data. You can test your wireless here www.speedtest.net

Your router is 10/100 Mbps, you need 1Giga router and then pc<->mycloud (wired) expect to transfer 3G of data/minute. Example:

Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
    Dirs :         1         0         0         0         0         0
   Files :        68        68         0         0         0         0
   Bytes :   7.415 g   7.415 g         0         0         0         0
   Times :   0:02:32   0:02:31                       0:00:00   0:00:00

Speed :            52394133 Bytes/sec.
   Speed :            2998.016 MegaBytes/min.
   Ended : 09 April 2014 18:26:11

and these are a combination of 2.5GB files to few hundred megabytes.

Hth

I never Once mentioned wireless.!  If I wanted to spend The Money for the high end network…and got these results you would have really heard a complaint. I should expect a reasonable amount of speed over this network that i have! I don’t need to replace parts or cables. What Im saying here is it doesn’t come close to the capabilities of the network i have in place! read closely before you brag about what you don’t know… ty anyhow for your advise. Also…if this is the case then WD should advertise that you need to upgrade your entire computer network structure before buying the 180 dollar drive…lol!

What kind of speeds are you getting?

The permissions problems you are reporting are not an issue with the cloud…  that I can almost guarantee.   

No one here has reported permissions problems that were the result of an issue with the Cloud – with ONE exception - there’s a bug in the configuration changer for Share permissions that might have an affect on some things, but you’re saying the issues come and go.   The bug I’m referring to is permanent, so that bug is not likely your issue.

TY!. I have found though that dragging files from windows explorer to the my cloud application uploads them faster… i was trying to drag files in explorer only…I don’t need the gb per second deal and im sure it would be faster but i can live with 8 to 12 mb per second it just does not do even that most times…