Toslink output

Hi I’m new to WD TV live and am using it for music streaming. I seem to be having trouble with the Toslink output. The levels are so much higher than my CD player and Phono, so much so that it over whelms my preamp. The volume control is hardly off the stop. Where when playing a normal CD it is about half way.

I have fitted some phono attentuation devices to the RCA inputs ( the Tosklink feeds an external DAC) but the levels are still to high.

Has any body got any suggestions? I did think about reducing the supply voltage to the WD Live from 12v to say 10v but not sure if that would have the desired effect.

I did a search but could not find any solutions.

I’m ripping my CDs using EAC but could not find any way to set the gain control other than normalise and thats not recommended.

Please help

Many thanks

I’m confused.   It’s impossible for TOSLINK to “overwhelm” a preamp.   It’s a digital signal.

How could a digital signal possibly overwhelm a preamp? There’s no such thing as “overload” or anything like that on a digital bitstream.   Even if the sampled waveform was maximum amplitude, it cannot overwhelm the receiver.

Hi

The problem I have is that the digital signal through the streamer is a very high level,  when feeding into my DAC also produces a high level and hence the digital signal is converted into a high level analogue signal. This analogue signal is a much greater signal than produced by my CD player, Phono and blueray player. The the wd tv live signal through the DAC feeds into the preamp the  volume control needs hardly to be turned.

The levels from the WD Tv live are high. I have tried it using a radio station through WD TV live and it has the same effect. Therefore I believe this eliminates the Exact Audi Copy (EAC) I am using to rip the CDs to FLAC.

I need somehow to be able to control the digital output from WD TV Streamer so that it provides a signal with less gain.

Sorry if its not clear but hopefully you can see what I mean.

You can try the Android app or iphone app. Both I believe have a volume control.

Might also check your amp’s settings and see if there is some setting for input levels. My old Yamaha amp lets me do that.

Thanks for the reply

A couple of questions though:

Can I just get the app from the App store?

Once you set the volume and you turn off the WD TV LIve and switch back on does it default back to the original settings?

Pegwill wrote:

Thanks for the reply

A couple of questions though:

Can I just get the app from the App store?

Once you set the volume and you turn off the WD TV LIve and switch back on does it default back to the original settings?

It is available via the app stores. I think you’ll find yourself setting the volume each time you turn it on but I’m not positive as I have never checked to see if the setting is retained.

The WD Remote App For Android