To use or not to use in a Desktop...that is a question, for the WD Purple

Using WD purple 4TB X 4 on Desktop with Windows 10 never once failed me , 2 drives are for backup and the other 2 are online like half of the year, i bought it just because purple had 5 years of warranty compared to just 2 years for blue drives.

1 Like

Oh thanks. I actually came across the same link at techarp but since I had more than enough space at the time, decided to shelve the expansion. Now that I’m seeing it won’t be soon until I run out of space, I revisited the link and was about to post it here when the system prompted me that the link had already been shared (quite nifty). I will install the WD Purple and copy over the files that are non-critical and see what happens. :slight_smile:

Hi there

Just dropping a line to see if someone could help me out solve an issue with my WD30PURZ 3TB. I connected it to my laptop as I would like to use it as a storage unit for my films.
Unfortunately, the WD purple doesn’t show up in the directory of my laptop hard disk drives but it pops up in the Devices and Printers directory. There I can only view the properties of the WD30PURZ. Also, I get the option to eject safely the unit from the machine.
Thank you all in advance for your help.

As long as it’s not your main drive, you’re good to go. Purples will never outperform a black, or blue for that matter. They will also never cease to spin. I owned a bunch of them in different applications and two failed. One 8TB in a 32ch NVR and the other in a super intensive Milestone Surveillance server. Both had the motor failed, not the heads.

Talking asshat here. WD Purples are indeed incredibly reliable. Hence their high MBTF and numerous reports across the internet of their longevity. WD Blue are far more likely to fail, have a lower MBTF hence they are cheaper. AND there are 100% excellent for normal everyday usage in a standard PC.

I concur.

As mentioned earlier, the purple disk head remains in constant motion, unlike a typical disk head which only engages when reading or writing data.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion….! We value your contribution and will explore its potential implementation

As previously mentioned, the purple disk head remains in constant motion, unlike a conventional disk head, which only engages when reading or writing data.

If my understanding of hard disks is correct, I would anticipate that all of them maintain constant spinning of the disks and the heads remain suspended above the disk surface unless power is turned off.

I’m reaching out to seek assistance in resolving an issue with my WD30PURZ 3TB hard drive. I’ve connected it to my laptop intending to use it as a storage unit for my films.
However, the WD Purple drive doesn’t appear in the directory of my laptop’s hard disk drives. Instead, it shows up in the Devices and Printers directory. Here, I can only view the properties of the WD30PURZ and have the option to safely eject the unit from the machine.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. :pray:

Thank you for your appreciation! We highly value your feedback and will thoroughly consider implementing the suggested changes.

To clarify, hard disks typically maintain continuous spinning of their disks with the heads hovering above the surface, unless power is switched off.

I’ve been using four WD Purple 4TB drives on my Windows 10 desktop without any issues. Two drives serve as backups while the other two are online for about half of the year. I chose the WD Purple drives for their reliability, backed by a five-year warranty, compared to the standard two-year warranty for Blue drives.

1 Like

Aright