TimeMachine backups My Cloud OS5

After updating to My Cloud OS5, when I try to setup the maximum storage size for the Time Machine backups, I can move the “slider”…but I can’t see any number…so I don’t know which amount I’m setting up :frowning:

Is this an error…or should I configure it in any other section?

Thanks,

@octaviascout What version of macOS and what browser are you using?
Please get a screenshot, system logs and contact support with the information.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1 Like

Hi.
I’m using macOS Catalina (10.15.6) and the Chrome web browser, and also have checked it using Safari :frowning:

Hi again.
Have checked it again, and now it seems to work: the “trick” is that the slider shows the maximum size when you “release” it.

Sorry for wasting your time…but thankyou for your answer

FYI, MyCloud, TimeMachine and Big Sur are currently incompatible. If you update to Big Sur, you’ll need to get a non-WD NAS to maintain your backups.

WD may be working to correct this, but they’ve been silent so far.

1 Like

Thanks a million for the info… I hope that sooner than later WD guys will make the required changes in the firmware…or find any solution or at least work around. We’ll keep in touch

Just a secondary note: If WD does address the issue of time machine running under OS 11. The APFS format will only allow for a single time machine backup. Each MAC that you want to backup will require a separate partition or container.

I’m new to WD MyCloud and trying to setup up OS5 with 2 plus machines with Time Machine. A Big Sur and a Catalina for Time Machine atm.

I was wondering what the latest on this is. Is it all working now and/or any tips/tricks?

WD Support is basically lack there of.

Thank you!

OS5, Time Machine and Catalina … there are no known issues.
OS3 or 5 Time Machine, Big Sur, and Sophos … currently not working. Fix is planned for sometime this month.

Thank you so much @kworden!
Really appreciate your reply! As WD is not helping, at all.

So is it mainly an issue with Sophos?

Meaning I need Big Sur (on one machine, Catatlina on another) and Time Machine asap. Sophos can wait (unless there is another recommended AV that works).

Also speaking of TM and Big Sur I saw somewhere that multiple macs (esp with those with APFS). I read that we may have to create separate folders, containers or partitions for each mac as opposed to the one main TM one that was created?

Is this true and/or the best practice? If so can you shed some light on the best way to set this up initially.

I have multiple macs some Big Sur and APFS and some older OS’s and possibly HFS+ and need the all to back up to the WD NAS. Ideally with TM, but can even use a 3rd party app if better.

Thanks gain for all you help!
Geo

The Big Sur, Time Machine problem is defiantly a Sophos issue. After I removed Sophos everything worked as advertised. Sophos has published several work arounds as they fix the issue. link to article **Sophos Support**.

I also have multiple machines with a variety of Mac OS versions. I elected the local disk option for the Sophos work around. As a result I haven’t worked on the Big Sur multi-machine issue yet. Non-Big Sur machines are working well.