I am hoping someone can provide insight into a problem I have with my Time Machine setup.
The bottom line is that the Time Machine UI shows only the information from the MobileBackups and not from my external Time Machine drive.
Here is my configuration:
- MacBook Pro (MBP) running Lion
- Western Digital MyBookWorld (MBW) with latest firmware
- AirPort Extreme (AE) (purchased two months ago)
- The MBW is connected via Ethernet to the AE.
- The MPB is wireless to the AE.
- Time Machine is pointed to the MBW as per the Time Machine preferences.
- The MBW shows up in Finder as two Shared devices as expected:
- Time Machine kicks off at a frequency as expected as per its reverse spinning clock icon.
- The Time Machine Buddy widget shows that the data is being written to the MBW.
- The size and space numbers associated with the MBW change and decrease as each Time Machine run is complete as per Finder.
Therefore, I conclude the Time Machine data is getting to the MBW drive.
However, when I enter Time Machine, the UI is showing only data associated with MobileBackups. This is proven by comparing what the Time Machine UI shows to the contents of the MobileBackups volume as per Finder.
Is the question, “How do I get the Time Machine UI to point to the MBW backups?” or is my problem deeper than that?