Time machine issues HELP

I was a PC user & have a MBWE that I used for backup (360G used out of 1T). I now use a MAC with High Sierra 10.13.3 and would like to use Time Machine to backup to the same MBWE without having to erase my PC files & all my photos. My mac will connect to the MBWE but Time Machine will NOT. It shows a drive available however when I try to connect it gives me an error message “there was a problem connecting to the server” I have tried a number of “solutions” I found at apple but still cannot connect by WI-FI.
I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to be connected by USB to use the MBWE?
  2. If that is the case do I just plug the MBWE into the USB slot on my mac?
  3. If that is the solution can I set it up for WI-FI once Time Machine has been setup or will I only be able to use a direct USB connection?
  4. Do I have to reformat the MBWE or can I leave the PC files as is & add mac files to a new share and/or partition?
  5. If I just partition the MBWE will I lose any data already saved to the drive?

Thanks in advance to any help I can get.

Hello, Hotblazer,

Well, there is no need to do any steps that you have mention. In this case, I would recommend you to try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting

To Contact WD for Technical Support

The link below will allow you to call support

I have the same problem. Have been trying to contact support for 4 days and just a standard “we got your message - go look at the forums page!”