Time machine issues HELP

I was a PC user & have a MBWE that I used for backup (360G used out of 1T). I now use a MAC with High Sierra 10.13.3 and would like to use Time Machine to backup to the same MBWE without having to erase my PC files & all my photos. My mac will connect to the MBWE but Time Machine will NOT. It shows a drive available however when I try to connect it gives me an error message “there was a problem connecting to the server” I have tried a number of “solutions” I found at apple but still cannot connect by WI-FI.
I have the following questions:

1. Do I have to be connected by USB to use the MBWE?
  2. If that is the case do I just plug the MBWE into the USB slot on my mac?
  3. If that is the solution can I set it up for WI-FI once Time Machine has been setup or will I only be able to use a direct USB connection?
  4. Do I have to reformat the MBWE or can I leave the PC files as is & add mac files to a new share and/or partition?
  5. If I just partition the MBWE will I lose any data already saved to the drive?

Thanks in advance to any help I can get.

Hello, Hotblazer,

Well, there is no need to do any steps that you have mention. In this case, I would recommend you to try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support

I have the same problem. Have been trying to contact support for 4 days and just a standard “we got your message - go look at the forums page!”