Time machine cant access my mybook world backup

I would like to use my time machine back up on my MacBook Pro with this external drive… Time machine see’s the drive but can’t access it… I’ve tried the default password. Tried mac forums as well…what do I do?

Help.

I have the same problem…anyone know??

Hi all.

I know I’m a bit late to this discussion, so you may have figured it out.  I recently switched from PC to mac, so I had to try to switch over my MBWE II.  I would connect MBWE II to my router, and Time Machine (and finder) would see it for an hour +.  But eventually, it fell off the Finder, and Time Machine couldn’t see it anymore.  No more backups.  Boooo!

After a week of trial and error, and searching sites, I think I have it.

Time Machine only saw my drive when I was signed into it through the Finder (Go, Connect to Server).  After signing in with smb over and over again, I tried afp.  This didn’t work.  Until I tried afp with the backup drive’s IP address (as opposed to the drive name).  Then, it signed in under the afp.  I opened Time Machine, selected the drive, and all went well.

Now, I don’t even need to connect to the server via afp.  Time machine has the address and password memorized.  All works fine.

How do you get the drives IP address (not just it’s network name)?

kp

You type in the router address Something like 192.1.168.254 and it will show you what IP address has been given to your WD machine in my case it is 192.1.168.74.

My problem is that I cannot get Time machine to see any external drives being available. When it searches for drives it is just blank.

ONCE YOU OPEN YOUR TIME MACHINE IS GONNA ASK HOW YOU WANT TO CONNECT TO THE DRIVE

AS A GUEST OR A REGISTERED USER

YOU MUST CHOOSE AS A REGISTER USER

USERNAME : WD_BACKUP

PASS:              BACKUP

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKED

2 Likes

Background.  I performed one successful backup between my MBA and WD MyBookWorld.   I then performed a Apple software update and then the MBA could not see the WDMBW.   I have followed your instructions about connecting via IP address, but when I go into TM and select disk, it is not there.  I now have a device listed in the Finder, but thats it.

Tom