Time Machine backup failures

I’ve been using a WD Essential Model WD3200H1U-00 to backup using Time Machine for around 3 years, but for over a week now I am getting error messages re failed backups. After using TIme Machine Buddy to find out what the errors are it appears to be a problem with the drive itself (I am getting a repeated message ‘waiting for Index to be ready’.). Is it possible that a software update for the external drive might solve this? If so, which one? Or is it time to buy a new drive?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

jennih wrote:

I’ve been using a WD Essential Model WD3200H1U-00 to backup using Time Machine for around 3 years, but for over a week now I am getting error messages re failed backups. After using TIme Machine Buddy to find out what the errors are it appears to be a problem with the drive itself (I am getting a repeated message ‘waiting for Index to be ready’.). Is it possible that a software update for the external drive might solve this? If so, which one? Or is it time to buy a new drive?

an update shouldn’t be necessary if nothing has changed in how you’re using the drive.  however, you might want to run the dlg diagnostics for the drive (both quich and extended) to make sure that it’s okay.  you may have to use a windows machine to run the diagnostics though.  if there are bad sectors, or if either of the tests fail, you should replace the drive.  also, if the drive passes the tests, you could have a corrupted indexing file, and may have to talk to apple about what to do about it.