Time Frame for Heartbleed OpenSSL Fix

Does WD have a time frame for the Heartbleed OpenSSL vunerability?

Although taking my MyCloud offline, which stops the internet access, is a temporary work around, it would be nice if WD would post a time frame for the fix. I realize this is not WD fault, but since the WD server outage and now this issue there have been several weeks that internet access is not obtainable, or recommended.

Also is there a firmware fix for a bug that was introduced in the last firmware upgrade?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/SMB-Permission-problem-with-new-firmware-update/m-p/694190#M9339

which states:

dl3l3b wrote:

Just a little warning for all WD my cloud users.

The new update introduce for me a bug on the samba share permissions for all existing directories:

We can’t add or modify users (full access, read only or remove) for existing directories:

The reason:

The file /etc/samba/overall_share is (before update) created with with “double tabs” 

BEGIN ## sharename = myshare

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

The new interface can only edit share section with “double space”. So the easy the solution is to edit (at your own risk) the file /etc/samba/overall_share and make modification.

Hi SectorGZ, WD is working on a solution and will post information as it becomes available. Regarding your question about the firmware bug, it has already been reported to the development team. 

SectorGZ wrote:

Does WD have a time frame for the Heartbleed OpenSSL vunerability?

Although taking my MyCloud offline, which stops the internet access, is a temporary work around, it would be nice if WD would post a time frame for the fix. I realize this is not WD fault, but since the WD server outage and now this issue there have been several weeks that internet access is not obtainable, or recommended.

Also is there a firmware fix for a bug that was introduced in the last firmware upgrade?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/SMB-Permission-problem-with-new-firmware-update/m-p/694190#M9339

which states:

dl3l3b wrote:

Just a little warning for all WD my cloud users.

The new update introduce for me a bug on the samba share permissions for all existing directories:

We can’t add or modify users (full access, read only or remove) for existing directories:

The reason:

The file /etc/samba/overall_share is (before update) created with with “double tabs” 

[myshare]

[double tabs]path = /shares/myshare

[double tabs]comment =

And the new firmware fill with “double space”

[myshare]

[double space]path = /shares/myshare

[double space]comment =

The new interface can only edit share section with “double space”. So the easy the solution is to edit (at your own risk) the file /etc/samba/overall_share and make modification.

They certainly have a time frame, but they won’t tell you and me :frowning:

Ichigo wrote:

Hi SectorGZ, WD is working on a solution and will post information as it becomes available. Regarding your question about the firmware bug, it has already been reported to the development team. 

Thanks for the reply, but it really doesn’t answer the question, to be honest. This is a known issue for a week now and other than the header that states to turn off Remote Access that has been all the news the customers have received. With all due respect, I think we deserve a more definite answer.

Perhaps I should have asked my questions in this post.  

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Remote-Access/td-p/720686

I just hope this doesn’t go on and on … I am seriously losing my patience in WD’s capablities or commitment to the customer and their products.

SectorGZ wrote:

I just hope this doesn’t go on and on … I am seriously losing my patience in WD’s capablities or commitment to the customer and their products.

The preferred client recently wrote: “Bill_S, we thank you and patiently wait for the solution” :wink:

I submitted a Ticket on this last week and I finally got an email back stating the exact same thing that Ichigo wrote:

" WD is working on a solution and will post information as it becomes available."  

I wonder if they are waiting for Debian to write this fix? Why is it taking so long as we are without internet access without risking being hacked! No news on this subject only leads to speculation.

Debian released the fix on 7 April 2014.

The MyCloud runs on Debian Wheezy from what I understand. Not sure why WD is having to take so long to come up with a fix. :frowning:

SectorGZ wrote:

The MyCloud runs on Debian Wheezy from what I understand. Not sure why WD is having to take so long to come up with a fix. :frowning:

Testing.  It should be out soon.  That’s all I can say.

Bill_S wrote:

Testing.  It should be out soon.  That’s all I can say.

Thank You for the update, much appreciated.