Thumbnails

I would also like to know how to have a thumbnail when I browse the movies.

Do I have to create a folder with a folder.jpg in each one ?

I tried putting a jpg file with the same name as the movie but it does not work…

Is there more detailed documentation on how to do this than the user guide ?

Thanks !

Yes, well documented here-

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf

But this IS the User Guide.

As stated in my original post, the information provided in there does not work for me… (?)

There must be something I am missing, but what ?

Use networks shares instead od media servers.

Well you need to provide more details about how you are playing your media and what type of media files you are playing.

Are you playing your media files from a-

1) local USB drive

2) network share

3) media server (if so which one)

What type of media files are you trying to play? Is it mp4, mpg, avi, etc?

Provide some examples of what you have tried.

I have no problem playing the AVI files from MyBook World EII.

I would like to know how to see thumbnails when I browse in thumbnail mode…

Thanks !

Switching from Media Server to Folder Shares solved the problem which is a shame since I bought the MyBook World for to make sure features would be compatible with the WD TV…

I could have bought any cheaper drive… Oh well…

Now I still have to find a solution for subtitles not being available… jeez…

mpoirier wrote:

Switching from Media Server to Folder Shares solved the problem which is a shame since I bought the MyBook World for to make sure features would be compatible with the WD TV…

They are compatible when using network shares. Using a media server is a completely different thing. Your subtitle problem may also be due to media server. Media servers have their limitations.

Well, it sort of works, now I see a jpg AND and avi thumbnail for everything !?!

Maybe this thing is not ready for prime time as they say…

mpoirier wrote:

Well, it sort of works, now I see a jpg AND and avi thumbnail for everything !?!

Maybe this thing is not ready for prime time as they say…

It is working perfectly correctly. If the media server does not tell the WDTV about these other resources (i.e. thumbnails, subtitles, etc.) how is it supposed to know they are there. That is the way the UPNP/DLNA standard works. It is completely different from file sharing.

And your next question should be- why doesn’t the media server provide this extended resource information? The answer quite simply is the STANDARD really does not support it. Yes it has been done through proprietary extensions and the WDTV has such extensions.

But the server has to provide the extended media information to the WDTV  before it can know it exists. Most media servers don’t do this.

Ok, “perfectly correctly” ? I’m not sure what your saying. I don’t care so much about standards proprietary or not…

Right now, the WD MyBook World media server does not provide thumbnails to WDTV. The Shared Folders of course contains the JPG but the WDTV shows JPG even if the setting is set to show Video only…

So there is no way to simply browse Video correctly using thumbnails ? That’s ok, it’s just that from reading the User Guide it seemed an easy task and they do not talk about the ackward side effects it creates…

We have to wait for an eventual update I suppose…

mpoirier wrote:

As predicted I note that your subtitle problem was also down to your media server.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/subtitle-files/m-p/178454/message-uid/178454/highlight/true#U178454

Yes indeed, switching to shared folders solved the subtitle issue.

Now I am looking at a possible update (6.0.30) for the Twonky media server in my WDWB.

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-305396/upgrading-twonky

Anybody had succes displaying thumbnails through a updated/modified version of Twonky media server ?

I am not even sure that updating the server would display correctly in WDTV… (?)

Thanks.