Thumbnail mode, how to use it?

Hi all, I have some problems using thumbnails with my WDTV Live. I have several usb hard disks with movies on the root folder; no subfolders apart from system (OSX) folders and wdtv standard folder.

So let’s say that this is the situation

usb hd root
— movie1.mkv
— movie2.ts
— movie3.mkv
— movie4.ts
— movie5.mkv

and so on.

For each movie I have a .jpg file named movie1.jpg, movie2.jpg and so on; I don’t want to use subfolders: every movie must stay in the root of the usb drive.

I want to use this view mode:

but some pictures do not show.
Is there some limitation in size or dimensions for jpg files?

Thank you, bye :slight_smile:
Francesco

First of all, the names must match *exactly* (t’s case sensitive) so make sure that you are copying the file name from the video file and pasting it into the JPG file.

Secondly, there is a size limitation – some folks say one thing, others another, but to play it safe keep them under 70K and you should be okay.

Finally, there are just *some* thumbs that don’t work.  Don’t ask me why, I’ve gone crazy trying to figure out why no matter what I try for “Strange Days” I can’t get a thumb to show.  We do know that there are cache issues (WD has admitted to this) so it may be something to do with that.  However, if you follow the above two rules it should be a rare file that does this (I have over 500 and only one that I can’t get to work properly).

Mike, thank you for your reply.

I think that a lot of pictures are > 70kb, most of them show fine but I’ll stay under that.

As per the file names: the names are copy-paste from the movie name, I’m sure. Does the extension make a difference too? jpg instead of JPG?

Thank you, bye

Francesco

Hmm, that’s a good question (as to whether the case sensitivity matters as to extension).  I *think* not, but you can always experiment to be sure.

If you have a thumb that isn’t showing up in particular, try assigning it a thumb that is (IOW, if “One.jpg” doesn’t work, but “Two.jpg” works for another movie, try copying and pasting that same JPG and renaming it to “One.jpg” just to eliminate the image from the problem).