Thumbgen updates coming

i noticed that the newer hub firmware changes the xml movie info outout from previous builds so i reached out to thumbgen designer with the old/new versions for tv and movie.

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7150&sid=0cefba8e3018acfc3ff712687aadf613

someone has also requested metathumb support which i also supplied examples.

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6204&sid=0cefba8e3018acfc3ff712687aadf613

Yep, I had already sent TG a request on getting the TV show xml data fixed about a month ago.

ya i talked to him yesterday. apperantly he only gets a chance to get through all requests and work on the program once/month due to being busy at work.

Re: ThumbGen able to generate metathumb files?

Postby  thumbgen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:22 am

The .metathumb file is a simple .jpg  :) 

I added the .metathumb extension in the list of supported output extensions, will be available in the next version.

Re: WDTV Live Hub XML export

New postby  thumbgen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:47 pm

Done. The next version is currently building/uploading  ;-)

Just FYI, it’s already released version 1.2.11.0.

www.thumbgen.org

Updated to thumbgen 1.2.11.0 and now it can’t find the movie “Fringe”.  Downgraded to 1.2.10.0 and it works fine again.

what scraper are you using cause he only chnaged the following scrapers:

* Fixed cinemagia.ro
* Fixed blu-ray.com
* Fixed movieposterdb.com
* Fixed sratim.co.il

Are you sure you dont mean TVSHOW “Fringe”?

i just tested with my TVSHOW “fringe” and it worked… during this test it also found a movie Fringe from 2008 and 2010

I have all the scrappers turned on except AMAZON since they don’t have any movie descriptions.  Yes, Fringe was a TV show which ran from 2008 to 2012 but I had absolutely no hits with the scrappers using the updated thumbgen.  And the old thumbgen, with all the same scrappers turned on, finds references to fringe within 15 seconds.  I have no idea why this happens, but I was in the middle of getting boxart, etc for all the seasons so I just changed back to the old version of thumbgen and finished my work.  Turned out really nice and I got different box art on every disk from seanson 1 disk 1 thru season 3 disk 6.

When you are doing TV shows you should only select thetvdb.com as your collector.  This was actually true even with the older versions of TG.  That, you were able to get the info with all the older version is mostly just happenstance, because even with the old version, having any other collector selected can cause issues with TG not being able to scrape the data for TV shows.

Besides, and I believe this is the case, the only relevant collector  that has data for TV shows is thetvdb.com.  The others, except for maybe Amazon are for movies only.

The best thing to do is to have a seperate profiles set, one for TV shows and one for Movies.

But I just did a test also, and had no issues pulling up the data for Fringe.

It’s working now for TV Shows Sorting Function for the media library.

To save you the time looking for the option

Options/input output naming/ movieinfo export/ export using wdtv live hub format (new fw)

this results in putting the season and episode info into the xml file. It works but requires to change sorting order for movies and TV shows.

it looks like this

Weeds - A Beam of Sunshine
  <series_name>Weeds</series_name>
  <episode_name>A Beam of Sunshine</episode_name>
  <season_number>8</season_number>
  <episode_number>2</episode_number>

DeVicious wrote:

It works but requires to change sorting order for movies and TV shows.

mine is showing out of order still. so what change did you make and where did you change it to change the red above?

Thanks for that info, Tinwarble.  I never knew that about thumbgen.  And, since I don’t use media library at all, I guess I was just lucky with the results I got.  Your comments do bring up one follow-up question however. 

I’ve stayed away from running the WD media library because I thought it required my moviesheet data to be pulled from internet sources which are subject to change or disappear all together.  At the very least I wanted to avoid loss of boxart if a site should remove or change webpag addresses for anything my moviesheets needed. 

My intention in the entire design of my movie storage was to have all movie data, backdrops, boxart, etc reside on my WHS server so nothing could be lost (excluding a crash of my  server, of course).

Is my thinking flawed?  Is there any  reason to run the WD media library  over simply pulling all movie and TV show data into my server one time?

Thanks for taking time to help a novice,

Mike

drizzt09 wrote:

DeVicious wrote:

mine is showing out of order still. so what change did you make and where did you change it to change the red above?

Sort by TV SHOWS / ALPHABETICALLY ^

I had some weirdness myself when i turned it on the first time, i had to clear the library and you want to delete all thumb folders on your devices, otherwise it is showing the first episode thumb as a folder and the folder.jpg for the first episode (uncomfirmed, don’t know if that does anything or if we need the meta thumb for folders now)

hazmat96 wrote:

Is my thinking flawed?  Is there any  reason to run the WD media library  over simply pulling all movie and TV show data into my server one time?

Your thinking isn’t flawed, the only 2 good things that come with the library for me are 1)  you can watch the trailer of the movie 2) in 4/5 view modes it shows the actual title of the move and not the file name, other than that I am not interested in it and wasn’t running it since forever. I am giving it a new shot today but i might just ending up turning it off again

@Drizzt

yeah total chaos even after cleaning up the thumbnails, apparently it needs the metahumb which I hear is unreliable as well. I cannot create metathumbs for my stuff because all my folder.jpg are generated as a movie sheet and there is no output option for that. It seems the library is exclusively designed for the build in scraper.

I have given this feature a minimum of 50 chances, always with an open mind and everytime i am sitting in front of my TV screaming at the screen that  my dog is hiding under my bed. The library is garbage FULL STOP

It is not meant to work with Thumbgen. Also as much as i love Thumbgens work he could of added the metahumb extension for the movie sheets as well.

DeVicious wrote:

I cannot create metathumbs for my stuff because all my folder.jpg are generated as a movie sheet and there is no output option for that.

the new firmware includes metathumb or is it only for the thumbnail options, not the sheet option?

drizzt09 wrote:

DeVicious wrote:

I cannot create metathumbs for my stuff because all my folder.jpg are generated as a movie sheet and there is no output option for that.

the new firmware includes metathumb or is it only for the thumbnail options, not the sheet option?

not for the sheets, i was sending an Email to Thumbgen explaining that some themers use movie sheets in order to create the thumbnails. I tested it with hand made meta thumbs and it works fine. I just don’t understand why they were diddeling with a basic rule (folder.jpg) and ripped it out of context.

DeVicious, I am having some problems with getting the TV episodes in correct order when using the media library, some seem to work, while others do not. This is what I believe you are saying to do so let me know if I am at least on the correct track, or if I am missunderstanding you.

1. I had all of the sheets made in the previous version of Thumbgen with your templates, so deleted the everything except the videos.

2. Named all the videos to the spec in your User guide (EX: Bored.To.Death.HDTV.S01.E01 etc)

3. I installed the latest version of Thumbgen (1.2.11.0), and then refered to your Black Mamba User Guide and added all of the common files etc.

4. Went through and built your templates for Movies and TV to the spec in the user guide, adding the naming convention you specified

5. Regenerated the all the sheets and now the XMLs have , <series_name>, <episode_name>, <season_number> , <episode_number> and like you example

6. I deleted all of the “.wd_tv” directories on the network drive that has my TV Shows

7. I cleared the media library and then had it rebuilt

8. I Set he the “Sorting” to alphabetical

I am now getting the main directories for each TV show in alphabetical order, but the episodes themselves are not. If I sort by date instead, I seem to have better luck in most of them, but not all  and  with a few bizarre sorting anomolies that I cannot figure out), but then of course my TV shows have no order that I can figure out when viewing by folder.

Any ideas? Seems like from your post you have been able to make this work with media library. of course it all works perfect if I connect by network share, but I have many shares on multiple machines on this network so it is kind of a pain to go that route if I can make media library work

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated

-P

DeVicious wrote:

I had some weirdness myself when i turned it on the first time, i had to clear the library and you want to delete all thumb folders on your devices, otherwise it is showing the first episode thumb as a folder and the folder.jpg for the first episode (uncomfirmed, don’t know if that does anything or if we need the meta thumb for folders now)

pearl wrote:

DeVicious, I am having some problems with getting the TV episodes in correct order when using the media library, some seem to work, while others do not. This is what I believe you are saying to do so let me know if I am at least on the correct track, or if I am missunderstanding you.

1. I had all of the sheets made in the previous version of Thumbgen with your templates, so deleted the everything except the videos.

1. Named all the videos to the spec in your User guide (EX: Bored.To.Death.HDTV.S01.E01 etc)

1. I installed the latest version of Thumbgen (1.2.11.0), and then refered to your Black Mamba User Guide and added all of the common files etc.

1. Went through and built your templates for Movies and TV to the spec in the user guide, adding the naming convention you specified

1. Regenerated the all the sheets and now the XMLs have , <series_name>, <episode_name>, <season_number> , <episode_number> and like you example

1. I deleted all of the “.wd_tv” directories on the network drive that has my TV Shows

1. I cleared the media library and then had it rebuilt

1. I Set he the “Sorting” to alphabetical

I am now getting the main directories for each TV show in alphabetical order, but the episodes themselves are not. If I sort by date instead, I seem to have better luck in most of them, but not all  and  with a few bizarre sorting anomolies that I cannot figure out), but then of course my TV shows have no order that I can figure out when viewing by folder.

Any ideas? Seems like from your post you have been able to make this work with media library. of course it all works perfect if I connect by network share, but I have many shares on multiple machines on this network so it is kind of a pain to go that route if I can make media library work

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated

-P

DeVicious wrote:

I cannot give you any good support because the library still is broken.

For me the sorting works when i activate the TV Show filter and use the new feature of ThumbGen, but it still shows the wrong cover art for the main series folder and for the 1st episode of each folder.

If you want my advice, turn off the library, it is broken. They need to figure this stuff out not us. I am not willing to make work arounds for this nor should you. I know it is being worked on.

Thanks DeV, I misunderstood your post thinking you had it working with the media library. I may be forced to go to straight SMB drive connections as you suggest which does work great with your Theme.

Problem for me is I have tens of shares on this network for various applications etc on multiple machines. realy nice to just see the couple of shares that I use for the HUB in one place (Movies, TV Shows, Concert Videos) instead of having to remember which stuff is on which server, and then which drive/share. Really, it’s just a matter of me organizing my network a bit better or buying one NAS big enough to have everything for the HUB on that one machine.

Thanks for the help and all the hard work. Your Theme is absolutely killer, and has really enhanced my HUB.

-P