Thumbgen 1.2.9.1, WDLiveHub FW 2.07.17 and mojo 1.12.01 (MS) Movie Sheet Problems

To make iso files i use CloneDVD2.

With this you can select whatever you want to be “cloned” into the .iso file.

• DVD menu [Yes/No]

• Subs

• Audio streams

• Video streams

• Trailers

Youtube tutorial

Edit: found it on youtube

Actually an iso can be just the movie, it doesn’t have to full dvd.  I’m not sure were you got the idea that it had to be a “clone” of the movie, but that is not correct.  All an .iso is is basically a zip file that contains the movie and it can be either the full dvd or just the movie itself.

CloneDVD2, you have to pay for.  If you already have a rip program, which I assume you do, all you need is Imgburn, which is freeware.   Imgburn, even though it’s free, is the most popular and the best .iso program out there.

Also, there’s no need to re-rip the movie, you just take the movies that you have already ripped and convert them to iso with Imgburn.

Thanks for all your help.  It’s always nice to hear from someone who knows what to use.  I’ve downloaded ImgBurn and will give it a try today.

Thanks,

Mike

Did you solve it?

I was about to do the whole .iso thing, but playing a bit more with it I finally found out the solution (in order to keep the VIDEO_TS structure):

1. Find a suitable cover art (.jpg)

2. Find your movie you want a folder cover art picture for, and then

3. locate the VIDEO_TS folder

4. Inside this folder place your .jpg picture (size and form doesnt matter it seems but have to be a .jpg)

5. Locate the first VOB file (eg. VTS_01_0.VOB)

6. Rename your picture exactly that (VTS_01_0.jpg)

7. Go to your movie in your WD TV unit and click on “rescan content info” and follow the on-screen steps.

8. You now have a picture for your movie folder (VIDEO_TS).

:slight_smile:

@TOR721,

Not that this wasn’t an option to get thumbnails to work.  But why would you want to use the more complicated structure of using VIDEO_TS, rather than simplifing your structure by converting .iso.

As I stated, you aren’t really changing anything about your video by converting to .iso anyway, it is still in the VIDEO_TS structure, it’s just now in one single file.  All you are doing is basically making a zip file of your video since that is all an .iso is.

This is what an iso looks like if you open it with WinZip:

It’s the exactly the same structure as it is if it were in DVD format.

I understand that, and did a test with my Star Wars Ep 1, but when playing the .iso with VLC player on my mac, all I got was a lot of stutter and pixels - for whatever reason.

I fully understand you, but I had maybe 40-50 movies, done in VIDEO_TS, so by doing this extensive structure I saved a lot of time instead of making them all .iso :slight_smile:

But I guess both options work.

That may be due to playing them on a mac, or it could be that your had another program running which can cause that to happen, or it could be that you were streaming them to your mac.  I do know that they play fine using VLC on a PC, and they work great on the HUB and SMP both.

Also, just so you know, you should (and I no mac guy so I don’t know what program your using to rip), be able to create an iso of your movie when you rip.

But for me, since I don’t really care about having menus or extras, I prefer converting all my movies to .mkv anyway.  This takes a lot more time to do, but I save a lot of space and still have the same quality movie.  Encoding to .mkv gives me a movie about 1/3 the size of the movie as .iso or .VOB.

Speaking of .mkv, DVDfab has finally made a version for mac, and I purchased that, and one of the options I can make is the MKV choice.

I dont want to lose any quality on pic + sound so I have allways done the 1:1 copy (making them into video_ts) and it works great, but I have been wondering about .mkv, since the info about it is quite sparse, in the program itself.

But you have good experience using mkv and no quality reduction?

btw: I love your themes (Mojo, darklight) but since Im on a mac, the thumbgen is not supported.

Know of any workarounds?

Well, I don’t really care for DVDFabs mkv function, due to the fact that it is basically for making .mkvs for portable devices.  It will work, but you just don’t have as much control over the output. 

I prefer using Handbrake (freeware), which gives you more control over the quality of the output.  And you can find more info about it HERE.

As for moviesheets for mac, the only thing that I know of is Movie GUI Builder for Mac OSX , but as I said, I’m not a mac guy so I don’t know anything about it.

1 Like

Once thanks for the reply.

I have been using handbrake as well, so might play a bit with it.

Ty.