Throwing in the towel over connection drops

I bought a 2TB My Book World Edition II (white led) about 10 days ago.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work robustly – at all.  I’m not even doing anything exotic.  Just assigned it a static IP address and am mounting it to Windows XP via a drive letter. 

Whether I’m doing a large file copy or connecting to in in SSH, after about 15 minutes the NAS becomes unresponsive and the connection gets dropped.  I’ve tried various hacks to turn off mionet and twonky but nothing seems to work.  I’m getting ready to send it back but first I wanted to call out to this forum to see if any solutions emerge.  

I wouldn’t be spending so much time on this were it not for the things I really like about it – namely that it’s small, quiet and low power.  I’m really just looking for a simple NAS that stays on my home network 24x7 and doesn’t add to my already considerable electricity bills. 

I see a lot of people are having similar problems - haven’t seen many updates from WD.  Is there any reason for hope?  Alternatively, any other products that do what I need (provide low power, reliable network file store)?

Thanks

Since there’s been no replies, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

see if my post on pg 9 of Drive becomes un-accessible after short use helps any more than what you’ve already done.

[edit - added the link to your post]

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use/m-p/23996#M1059

Thanks jdz2k, I think I’ve pretty much gotten mionet turned off (and twonky) using steps like those you suggest.  Verified by looking as ps and the webui.  No dice… still drops the connection regularly.  In fact, I can’t even seem to stay connected through putty for more than 30 minutes. 

I’m wondering if part of the problem is that it’s a 2TB system.  Seems like my problems are more severe than most but I see some other posts that mention 2TB white light systems.   Other than that, I’m at a loss and running out of time before I have to return it.