Three out of three new WD Red4TB Drives bad & unable to create RMAs

I bought three new WD Red 4TB drives for my new PR4100. I inserted the drives in the PR4100, turned it on, and initially the blue LEDs shown, and then flickered as the PR4100 instructions indicated that they should. However, seconds after the flashing blue LEDs went to solid blue (about 3 minutes from turning the unit on), then all three of the drives LEDs abruptly changed to solid red - indicating failures. They remained red while the PR4100 displayed the available disc space as 0. Several attempts were made with the same result.

So I attempted to create RMAs online for the three drives but the RMA request fails with the message “Name & Address must be entered in Latin-based languages only”. So English doesn’t work???

I poked about the site and found a place to write some feedback. Spent time describing the problem, and lo – it would not upload because it wasn’t one of the permissible formats! It was text, and text was in fact one of the several formats listed.

So I guess tomorrow I’ll dedicate half the morning to getting through on a phone call. It is frustrating to say the least. Do others have this problem?

1 Like

If there’s an issue with the RMA creation form then WD Support should be able to assist. Nonetheless, a report has been submitted.

but the issue has still not been fixed.

Have you tried contacting WD Support?

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

I have indeed, but the fact of the matter is I now have to communicate numerous times.

the online form allows you to raise an Advanced RMA in one go.

Now When I phoned after making a Support case. someone has to take over the original case. then I have to show proof of purchase. then because I want Advanced RMA, my Case handler cannot do this, and has to then escalate the case. I then have to wait, how long is anyone’s guess but sounds like days if not weeks.

This whole process looks like it is archaic and the backup solution isn’t any better.

Ahh now even better news. Advanced RMA is not possible until their system is upgraded!..Would be quicker if I just buy a new drive i think.

I will pass along your feedback to the appropriate teams. You should not need to submit a proof of purchase for an ADV RMA unless your hard drives belong to a different region, which would also explain why you are unable to submit an online request.

Well I am only doing what I am told. They have my proof now, but no reply - so god knows when or how long this process is going to take.

No at all happy this this situation.

If there is no Advanced RMA, then why is it an option on the online form now?

Why are so many users having problems with the forms? just read the forums…

even if you report it higher, it appears, that the line managers seem to either not care, or the problem cannot be fixed. “a lets just wait until a new system is in place” sounds really great… not… New systems always come with teething problems, and I guess this will be no different than the last one :slight_smile:

I guess this will have a knock on effect when future purchases show the warranty support is lacking in a solid process, and people may take their custom elsewhere. when profits go down, so do jobs. and guess what, that will hit the Warranty support more… and it ends up in an endless spiral.

Scheduled maintenance and system updates do not negate the existence of the service. This is why Support recommends to try again later, or to submit a Standard RMA as an alternative. Additionally, warranty-specific considerations can delay the process. For example, if you are in the US and your hard drives come from the EU you’ll need to amend your warranty before an ADV RMA can be submitted. You can still process a Standard RMA on such cases since it’s worldwide warranty.

Many users misunderstand a specific instruction as an error. The following thread is an example:

Again so why have any red lettering to cause confusion, and why have Advanced RMA option when it is not available?

Seriously - do I really have to spell it out?

no need to answer that. really.

The Advanced RMA option is not available for just anyone. I would read the KB article below, and if you qualify, but the submission doesn’t work for you, then you’ll need to contact support and see if they can help you.