This product needs a lot more work

I’ve been trying to get this drive to work,  and have concluded that it needs  a lot more work, starting with the software. I’m going to try and send mine back…this is not a cheap unit at all when you consider the price per byte. I would have been better off with a 2TB drive in an older machine built as a file server. 

THe problems I’ve been having is that it totally kills my network bandwith on both the LAN and Wan. I’ve had it unplugged now for about three weeks, and so today I decided to try it again. Almost immediately you could see the network performance slow to a crawl. I also noticed right away that my laptop would no longer play videos without a lot of lagging. THese are not streaming videos but are stored on the laptop’s drive. It’s not any of the other PC’s in the house because I double checked that no one else was using the network. I’m pretty sure it’s got something to do with this drive trying to become the center of all media through the buggy software. 

The icing on the cake was when I tried to see if there was an update available via the dashboard, that it told me there was no internet connection available. Reboot and same thing although the internet connection is working just fine. 

This was a huge waste of money, I used to be a big WD fan but I think it’s time to look at some of the other drives that are out there instead of this Twonky piece of **bleep**. 

One other suggestion if anyone from W/D reads these posts. Get rid of the stupid verification when you log in to this site… You shouldn’t have to verify your identity other than a password once you verified yourself once. Fix this **bleep** will you please? 

You’ve got to be kidding…since when has C   R   A   P been a word that needs to be censored? Bleep bleep…

Get rid of twonky then. Your problem isn’t with the device, it’s with the **bleep** software you’re running on it.

Change to mediatomb, disable twonky, job done. Not exactly a difficult solution to think of.

Turned twonky off, turned I tunes off…turned remote access off, ftp etc…

It still is effing with my PC’s…

This product is worse than a virus…

Did all of that…no cure. Enabled SSH and network problems went away. 

Got vendor to take the drive back…going with a Seagate NAS220.