Thinking of getting My Cloud Mirror - Concerned About Security

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting My Cloud Mirror for my home. I had a WD Passport Ultra for about a year or two, and it failed. I had to pay around $500 - $600 to get everything recovered and I also bought the new My Passport Ultra 4TB to put all of my data on. When my first Passport Ultra failed, I didn’t have it for a few months and spent 500 - 600 dollars to recover it. I think it’s a worthwhile investment to pay $300 - $400 for a My Cloud Mirror, set it up in my home, and have my new Passport Ultra backup everything to the Mirror and have it back up on two drive via RAID 1 configuration. This will effectively ensure that I will never lose my data again.

I have two questions for the community. Is it possible to have my new Passport Ultra backup all of its files to the My Cloud Mirror?

Also, my biggest concern is security. I work in information/cyber security and security is a huge concern for me. In my last Passport Ultra, I had the whole thing encrypted. I plan to do the same thing with my new Passport Ultra.

One reason I don’t use an online cloud service like Dropbox is that I’m pretty sure that they can and do look at all of your files. I create and study viruses often, and they have deleted the viruses I upload a few days after I upload them. I was wondering what type of security My Cloud Mirror has? Does it come with the ability for AES 256 encryption? Can WD see all of my files? How secure is it? I want to be able to upload whatever I want to my personal cloud without anyone looking at my data, but me. If my Cloud Mirror wouldn’t be the best option for me, then what will? Thanks for all of your help! Any information is useful to me and appreciated!

Hi zelsoft,

Yes, you can configure the USB backup (USB to NAS / NAS to USB). You should refer to the link given below in order to know how to configure USB backup.

Talking about the encryption, My Cloud system can be encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption to protect your data from unauthorized access and theft. You can enable volume encryption at the time of creating the volume and mount it with normal read/write access privileges.

You should refer to the link given below to know more about RAID Encryption.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16538