"There is no media in the current folder" from Network Share

Just got a new WD TV Live Streaming Media Player and have been trying for weeks to get this working. I’m about at my wits end…

PROBLEM:

When I attempt to pull content from a Network Share, it always returns with “There is no media in the current folder”. This is true no matter if I try accessing Photos, Music, or Videos. So, when I go to Videos > Network Shares > PCNAME it thinks for a second or two and then says “There is no media in the current folder”

SETUP:

All media is stored on a Windows Server 2008 machine. This box serves content throughout my house and has for years. Never had an issue with accessing it from any other device before. Entire home is wired with cat6; nothing is on wireless. This box currently serves content to multiple Xbox 360s, PCs, Bluray players, iPads, Phones, etc etc etc… No issues with any of them. 

TROUBLESHOOTING TAKEN:

Here is what I’ve already tried based off of the multitude of threads reporting the same issue as seen below…

• Set all permissions on all shares to giving Everyone full read/write access
  • Gave the WD TV Live it’s own user name and password with administrator rights
  • Tried every other combination of permissions that you can think of…
  • Tried signing into the share from the WD TV Live using a guest account, the actual administrator account, the WD TV Live account I made, and as anonymous
  • Enabled/disabled network discovery, enabled/disabled file sharing, enabled/disabled guest account, enabled/disabled password protected sharing
  • Removed all shares and re-added them
  • Removed all shares and re-added one at a time
  • Created a single new share specifically for the WD TV Live with a minimal amount of content in it
  • Created a share on an entirely different Windows 7 x64 build and attempted to access from that PC instead. This was a completely different physical machine; not a VM
  • Brought identical content and folder structure to a USB drive and plugged that directly into the WD TV Live just to ensure if could actually read my files. This worked fine.
  • Tried multiple versions of the firmware from the oldest to the latest
  • Of course dozens upon dozens of power cycles on my router, WD TV Live, Server…

RELATED THREADS: (yes, I’ve read every one of these word for word and tried all of their solutions)

Very disappointed in this unit so far. Is there a way I can just manually tell the thing where to look? This seems like such a simple and fundamental task for this unit to perform. What’s the problem here? It seems obvious that I’m not the only one with this same issue…  

I apologize if I sound grumpy in this post… just getting extremely frustrated…

Thanks for any and all suggestions

It does appearstrange, so try this:

Make a new folder called Three media files.  Put an mp3, a jpg and a mp4 file in it.  Share that folder and access it via the WD, photo, music and video menu choices .  Now, see if you can access the three media file types in there.  Hopefully, you can.  If you still get the msg there is no media in the folder, then there is something else amiss, out of whack, etc. 

Thanks for the suggestion… unfortunately I’ve already tried that… I’ve went as far as removing all of my shares and creating a single share specifically for the WD TV Live with a handful of files in it. No go :frowning:

Did you tried to right click on the folder that you want to share/properties/security, and added “everyone” to the list of Group or user names?

Alucardx23 wrote:

Did you tried to right click on the folder that you want to share/properties/security, and added “everyone” to the list of Group or user names?

bigshooter13 wrote:

•Set all permissions on all shares to giving Everyone full read/write access

Sure have… was the first thing I tried.

I had a similar issue the other day. I set up network shares (from a Buffalo NAS drive) specifically for the WD and a specific user with R/W access. (By the way - I hate that you have to do that, and that move/delete options are available from the TV therefore giving anyone the ability to delete your entire media collection either accidentally or through malice).

Everything was working ok, now I get that same message “There is no media in the current folder”. No matter what I did I couldn’t get them back. In the end I deleted the media catalog and started again, having to wait about 3 hours for it to recompile the library (despite only 20 films, 1500 photos and 400 songs).

It is a frustrating device. I only use it for iPlayer now, I use my ancient Netgear EVA8000 for playing movies.

I updated to the new firmware yesterday and still have the same problem… I give up…

You said you “Created a share on an entirely different Windows 7 x64 build and attempted to access from that PC instead. This was a completely different physical machine; not a VM” .  Did that work?  Were you able to see the files in the share?

If not, then the only varible left is the WD SMP.  The SMP has two network configurations that matter.  One is the IP address/DNS  (via DHCP) and the other is the workgroup.  As long as the SMP is on the same VLAN and the same workgroup as the server (Note change the default workgroup to something else like “workgroup123”) .  If those settings are true, and it’s still not working then the SMP is the problem.

Everything is connected to the same small physical network, everything is on the same workgroup. It didn’t connect to either of my physical computers no matter how I setup the shares.

I would just exchange the product but I got it through an employee purchase program straight through WD so I’m not sure that’s an option.

Thanks for the continued suggestions…  

It does seem like a large number of people with this issue are using WHS, not just the typical Windows “home” systems.

I’m guessing there’s some security policy defined on the WHS that’s not playing nicely with the WD.

Not that it helps, but there’s a common thread there…

You might try running Wireshark on the WHS and observe the interaction between the WD and the WHS…

There’s some discussion of this in this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/How-to-run-WIRESHARK/m-p/33862#M3080